Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Green Speeds

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 29 2011 12:59 PM (5 replies)
  • budfan4861
    183 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2011 6:54 AM

Can anyone tell me what speed green is most like the tournament speed greens. I  am wanting to practice getting used to a tournament speed green.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:50 AM

budfan4861:

Can anyone tell me what speed green is most like the tournament speed greens. I  am wanting to practice getting used to a tournament speed green.

hi,

tournament speed is slightly faster than very fast. maybe avg of 4 ft faster on 20ft hit

-wgticon

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2011 12:37 PM

But is 'tournament' always the same? Oakmont tournament greens seem distinctly faster on the USGA Open than on the regular weekly Oakmont tournament or ranked rounds for tour masters (also called 'tournament').

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2011 12:38 PM

budfan4861:
    I  am wanting to practice getting used to a tournament speed green.

This speed isn't available in practice mode. What you can do is go the weekly unlimiteds and practice there. You can take 10 shots a hole before you max out.

@zag-Those greens never completely calmed down after the Open. They were slowed up a bit but with all the up and down on the greens you wouldn't know it.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2011 12:45 PM

Jim, I have in mind the long-term Oakmont qualifier for (for what, exactly???) that has been going on since about January or something. If you look at the speed on hole 1, hole 2, it's very close to the main Open qualifier last summer, which I understood were "championship" - slick as a board.

For regular tour master events they are highly manageable, things don't slip away.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2011 12:59 PM

That would be the Legend version of Tournament, which is a bit faster. One of the biggest differences I notice between the 2 Tournament speeds is the roll downhill-the faster greens help it roll. The greens last year were much faster during the Open.

I think you said you use the avatar move method for putting. If you do I use the cancel move to compensate. TM version=move. Legend version=cancel move, same values for both. If you don't then 10% reduction in power seems to be close.

Big warning, though-anticipate a long return putt if you miss a downhill putt. You just have to know this is going to happen even though you hit the right strength.

RSS