Forums

Help › Forums

Re: default wedge bunkershots?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 28 2011 6:54 AM (5 replies)
  • GoodyChamp
    595 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2011 8:03 AM

Usually I have the bag equiped with three wedges: 95, 75 & 50 yds. When I'm in the bunker near the green, the caddy selects the 75yds wedge, though I'm always using the 50yds when sandtrapped near the green. It doesn't make sense either 2 use the 75yds.

Sometimes I just forget 2 change club and the round is gone, own fault, stupid, I know :). Does anybody know if  there is the possibility 2 change the default wedge 4 bunkershots?

If not, I think there should be an option 2 alter your default wedge. 

Cheers, GC

• Steelers75
    239 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2011 8:21 AM

It's not possible.  There have been a lot of comments about the caddy and how is offers other-than the best advice.  The caddy is more for the beginner.  On pretty much every shot I take, with the exception off tee shots on Par 4's & 5's, I change the club.  Most of the time on Par 3's I have to change the club too.

As I'm sure you've noticed, the caddy works the same way on putts.  For example, you have a 13 ft putt that's up 4 inches.  The caddy gives you the next higher yardage on your putter depending on which putter you have.  If you're not paying attention your putt goes a lot further than intended.

DON'T TRUST THE CADDY!!!

Best of luck!!!

-Steel

• GoodyChamp
    595 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2011 8:47 AM

Yep Steel, tks

The caddy normally selects 1 club higher when the difference between the distance 2 the pin and clubyardage is 5 yds or less. 4 example. When I have a 171yds shot 2 the pin, it will select my 5iron/190yds instead of the 6iron/175yds. But when I have a 169 yds shot 2 the pin it will select the 6iron/175yds. So it always gives the club above the actual yardage 2 the pin with a 5 yds margin. All this without accounting 4 windspeeds, elevation etc.

Now let's return 2 the bunkershot. Let's say that I'm in the 15/20% sand, 15 yds from the pin, no elevation and wind. 4 that shot I'm using around 1/2 power or even less with my 50yds wedge. So what I'm saying is that with this particular shot, the margin the caddy is handling is far 2 high, compared 2 the other shots......well....like you said "don't trust the caddy!!".....AT ALL!!! :)

Cheers, GC 

P.S.  Icon, just an idea, but it would be nice when WGT would give us the option 2 alter this default caddy settings, especially 4 this shot.

• Ffudd
    2,541 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2011 1:31 AM

On the same subject, can the caddy be set so it doesn't give you the 150ft meter just because you are on putting from the fringe - I just blasted a 15ft possible birdy putt into the rough at the other side of the green.

Again :-)

• golfkid210
    313 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:24 PM

I was gonna post the same thing about the putter from the fringe.  I just shot my best 18, 65 at Kiawah.  That included a double bogey that should have been a par but I failed to notice my putter was at 150 ft on a 20 ft downhill putt from the fringe for birdie :-/

• ForrestLeigh
    264 Posts
    Mon, Mar 28 2011 6:54 AM

golfkid210:

I was gonna post the same thing about the putter from the fringe.  I just shot my best 18, 65 at Kiawah.  That included a double bogey that should have been a par but I failed to notice my putter was at 150 ft on a 20 ft downhill putt from the fringe for birdie :-/

So its not just me then, I've had a few bad holes because of this, its not good watching your ball race away when you were ten foot away and lining up a possible birdie - yes I know its my fault I should check but whats the point of having it default to the 'long' setting?  if it defaulted to the short setting then the worst that would happen would be that we were a few feet short, not 100 foot past the hole

RSS