Help › Forums

Re: Solve the "quiters" problem.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 14 2009 3:18 PM (28 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:27 PM

scoresby:
    When joining random groups, the participant selection over which you have little or no control, it's  not wise to expect everyone in the group to complete the round; it's likely they just don't know and don't care, and don't finish.

...<snip>...

Join a ladder group, stay away from random groups, and you'll be a happier golfer.

QFT.

Thank you Scoresby...

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:29 PM

The last player, deserted by everyone else in a multi-player round, would of course get no penalty, whether he'd quit the round or not. You can't punish the victims of others' transgressions.

Snaike:
    No matter how vehemently you protest... quitting does not matter. 

No matter how many times you senselessly reiterate that, quitting does matter, big time. It spoils the enjoyment from the game for many site users, existing and potential ones. Since the situation can be significantly improved by implementing one or several of the proposed small penalties, WGT should do so ASAP. Some of those ideas would be fairly easy to implement from the software point of view, unlike variable pin positions or new stroke play courses.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:32 PM

Faterson:
    The last player, deserted by everyone else in a multi-player round, would of course get no penalty, whether he'd quit the round or not. You can't punish the victims of others' transgressions.
    Why not?  He quit?  What's good for the goose, etc etc etc.

No Faterson.. you want a rule that says "Everyone that quits when Faterson plays needs to be penalized."

Sorry.  It's not fair.  Life isn't fair.   No matter the number of paragraphs you can write, no matter how many times you wish to not hear it, it is the truth.

Quitting does not matter.  Sorry.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:37 PM

Snaike:
    you want a rule that says "Everyone that quits when Faterson plays needs to be penalized."

If you have nothing to add to these discussions except for spamming them with your "black is white"-style of repetitive denials of the existence of an issue that is clearly troubling many site users, just don't post here. Misrepresenting your fellow posters' proposals makes your posts not merely redundant but obnoxious.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:38 PM

Trout rule

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:51 PM

Again, the question goes un-answered by the vocal minority.  Another smoke-screen, another diatribe, another screed in the name of saving us all from ourselves.

You add nothing to the quitting topic but redundant reposts everytime one or two new players stick their head up and mention something about quitting.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that WGT gets, give or take a few, 20-30 new avatars a day...  but when 1 player per day (being REALLY generous with the numbers) brings the quitting topic up again on these forums, you have taken it upon yourself to champion his/her cause to the Nth degree.  Because that 1 player is the majority of the player base, according to your logic, and according to your words.

Look, you have helped many here with your informative and well-written guides and advice.  I can appreciate and applaud those efforts.  You are doing a fine job of helping the majority of the players on the forums.  It's really too bad that this issue isn't one of them. 

You don't speak for the majority.

Your crusade is not WGT's future.

Your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Unless and until WGT requires players to PAY for each round of golf, therefore investing something more than a few mouse-clicks and a few seconds of their time, people are going to quit rounds where they don't want to play FOR WHATEVER reason.

I am really sorry that you can't understand that.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 3:03 PM

lilrob88:

Trout rule

I'm trying!!

Fishing1

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 3:05 PM

Snaike:
    people are going to quit rounds where they don't want to play FOR WHATEVER reason.

People are going to quit less frequently if one or several of those small penalties are implemented, so they should be implemented. Very simple. They can't harm the game, only benefit it.

(As to you of all people berating others about repetitive posts, that's laughable. I try to keep my posts as brief as possible. Look at page 1 of the current thread; my first reply was 3 lines long, because I hoped those 3 lines would be enough to close this thread & refer the original poster to previous discussons. Alas, another wildfire erupted. That is, of course, primarily the fault of the missing forum moderators, who would have locked this thread immediately after it got started, or merged it with all the other foregoing quitters threads into a single, pinned thread devoted to discussing the issue.)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 3:18 PM

Faterson:
    People are going to quit less frequently if one or several of those small penalties are implemented, so they should be implemented. Very simple. They can't harm the game, only benefit it.
    Would you, as asked above, accept the penalty for quitting if your foursome falls apart?  Or, would you finish the round in solitude?  This is your solution and it must be all or none.  You can not put rules on only a subjective few when confronting the quitting issue.

Will you accept the 'small penalty' you so vigorously champion if you found yourself alone in a MP game?

If not, by whatever exception you wish to impose, then you, sir, are a hypocrite.  If so, and you continue to place your faith in the 'pick-up foursomes', you will find yourself penalized... and ultimately hoisted on your own pitard.

RSS