Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Off Center Shots (Woods and Irons)

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 5 2009 2:59 PM (8 replies)
  • fancyfeet4
    23 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 6:52 AM

I dont get this game sometimes.  I hit a shot off center to the left or right of the perfect spot and sometimes it pulls/fades just slightly, and others it yanks one way or the other.  I know that the lie can influence the shot, but a lot of times its on tee shots too.

For example, on the first three par 3's on Bethpage (red tees) I have hitting the shot just off either way and sometimes it still goes right at the pin, and others it is off 5-6 yards.  The wind is under 5 mph, so that really doesnt play a factor.

Another example is the first hole at Bethpage. I miss it just off center and I miss the fairway, but on many other holes I do the same and its still down the middle.

Can someone tell me why this is happening, or share their experience, because I feel I am going crazy here with these shots.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 8:07 AM

Even though this is a 'nonsense boilerplate' reply... use the search box over there ---->

and enter "deviations" or the "beast".

Your experience is not abnormal.  Others have been commenting on it for a very very long time.  Even a 'perfect' or 'true' hit will sometimes pull a bit left or right, defying physics, gravity, and the laws of nature.  It just simply is.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 9:46 AM

How would a new player, or one who is  knew to the forums,  know to use the word "deviation" and, or  the word "beast" to find information regarding his/her query....it seems less than gracious to punish someone who is trying to understand/improve his/her game by chastising his/her lack of understanding the lingo/lore of this virtual culture...HBthree

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:45 AM

hbthree:
    .it seems less than gracious to punish someone who is trying to understand/improve his/her game by chastising his/her lack of understanding the lingo/lore of this virtual culture

Sorry Sir, but I do not believe there was any chastising or punishing there; Snaike simply offered in his response a caveat to those who would punish him for providing a "boilerplate response", and followed that with two suggested words one might use in the  search bar which would lead to a bounty of threads discussing deviations.  Two more search terms that might get search results are 'variation' and 'inconsistency' and 'inconsistancy'. FWIW

I also believe suggesting the use of the search box is a highly effective educational tip.

Cheers,

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:55 AM

Perhaps I read and interpreted the response incorrectly, if so, I certainly apologize to all....HBthree

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:59 AM

That's the point; he suggested them exactly because it's highly unlikely the OP would know to use those words.

I hope. :)

Cheers,

*edit* previous post had been revised making this one rather meaningless.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 11:01 AM

I see, just misinterpreted the intent...originally read it as being facetious...my error...HBthree

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 1:50 PM

Thank you scoresby, and you too hbthree.. I was not being sarcastic nor facetious when I replied to the OP.. my intent was to put him/her on a path to greater understanding of the deviations that he/she is experiencing.  

No offense to the OP was intended.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 2:59 PM

thanks Snaike...and again, excuse my misinterpretation...HB3

RSS