Forums

Help › Forums

Re: was gonna snivel

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 29 2009 9:31 AM (4 replies)
  • lkennedy
    194 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2009 6:08 AM

Was a little upset at being made Master when I don't feel qualified.  But wait, I was shooting 31-33 from pro tees.  Was also shooting the occassional 40.  In any case, when I think back, I felt the same way when boosted to pro status.  Will either have to adapt, adjust, and perservere or go back to home run derbys.

I will never be of the same calibur as Tibbets.  No delusions there.  I try to be competitive, however.  In that light, I like the suggestion of xcali.  When hosting a multi, let me level the field.  As it is now, I'm spotting most of my friends 20 yards from tee. 

Further, I disagree with your ranking system.  You average best 10 of last 14 rounds.  How about last 14 days?  I have days when I couldn't hit the meter with auto-click.  I have days where a 1 foot putt looks like a football field.  I also have those days where I'm styling and in the groove (my groove is not the same as Tibbets').  You are trying to discourage sandbagging, but are encouraging it for us marginal players.

I was gonna snivel, but feel better having vented a bit.  Gotta go practice......

• TheVilleCards
    5 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2009 7:42 AM

I'm in the exact same boat.  Last night I am playing BPB Front 9 tourney.  I am hitting my groove and just hit 32 with some missed putts and feel like I can post a number before I hit the sack for the night.  So I fire up another round, and something strange happens on the first tee box.  I notice the wind instead of being 3-4 MPH is now 7.  I don't think too much of it, a little weird, play the first hole and move on.  Now the wind is 11 MPH crosswind on #2!  Now I know something is wrong.  Lo and behold I've been moved up to Master. 

I guess my problem is two things:  first, my 32 on the pro tier isn't going to hold up and now I have no opportunity to improve my score on that level.  second, like the OP, I don't feel skilled enough to play on the Master level.  I was hoping to win some credits on the Pro tier, invest in some new equipment, and maybe some day play at the Master level. 

Oh well I guess I have to start factoring in the winds and being further away on my approaches for now on, and have to deal with much better players outscoring me on tournies. BTW my avg score of 83 is a bit skewed...I got pretty mad about the upgrade to Masters and went on and shot max scores on every hole in Kaiwah...didn't seem to change my rank I just look stupid.

Cheers.

• DightonBlue
    42 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2009 8:00 AM

hahahahahahaha  -  thanks, guys!

I was getting a little put out that I couldn't seem to hang on to a decent average until I started reading some posts and found that I'm not alone.  When I consider that I have Never shot a sub-par round in real life, I tend to feel a little better about my e-golfer.

Keep smilin'

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2009 8:27 AM

I'm noticing a trend here. People who play nothing but 9 hole rounds are moving up to Master before they are ready.

Here's a hint, for those not yet in the Master tier, play full 18 hole rounds, your average will be much more realistic, and you'll remain a Pro longer.

• threeputtfool
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2009 9:31 AM

I got moved up to Master a couple of weeks ago...what a difference.  Can't even break 75 at BPB anymore.  I enjoyed my time at the Pro level.  Had a chance to place in the tournaments and receive some minor payouts.  Guess I will just dream about placing now.  For those of you still at the Pro level, enjoy it and throw in some high 18 hole rounds once in a while so you can stay there.

RSS