Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Rough

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 23 2009 8:23 AM (6 replies)
  • TartanArmy
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 1:33 PM

Hello everyone. This game takes a bit of getting used to doesnt it? Finally just managed an under par round on the easiest course. Hopefully it'll get easier from now on in

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 1:56 PM

You're a champ, because out of my 103 ranked rounds played so far, only two or three are sub-par (half-)rounds. In contrast, you only needed a few days for your first sub-par round, albeit on the easier of the 2 available courses. I appreciate that this game is so challenging & hope they will keep it that way when (we hope) the St. Andrews course is released.

• TartanArmy
    10 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 2:07 AM

maybe you're just finding it a bit more difficult than me. I have a nightmare with the putting. If you iss the marker by a fraction the shot pulls to one side or the other. The default putter is very unforgiving.

• Fowlerthanmost
    32 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 7:25 AM

Hi TartanArmy, If you have already managed an under par round, I'd say you shouldn't call it "rough" LOL. Your doing pretty good. I just shot my best round yesterday, in at 79. It does take a bit of getting used to. Putting has presented the biggest challenge for me also, but, the game is more forgiving than real golf in my opinion. As long as your close to the "excellent" marker at contact, the ball goes pretty much where you aimed it. Getting the distance right is another story. I would suggest, if your usually early or late at contact, try adjusting your aim a little more left or right to compensate. I'm usually early and this has helped me.

• TartanArmy
    10 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 7:32 AM

Hi Fowlerthanmost, hitting the "excellent" marker is a real problem. I seem to be just as bad on bothsides with the very occasional perfect  shot. which course did you play a 79 on? I am having a nightmare on Bethpage and seem to bogey every other hole. Double bogeys are quite common in my game too, mostly due to hitting the rough and bunkers with my not so excellent shots

• Fowlerthanmost
    32 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 8:02 AM

Hey TA, It was Kiawah Island. Bethpage does have some very difficult greens. If your not too far off the mark on your drives, it may be the wind your not compensating for. Say, if you've got a 10mph wind or better from the left, aim a little more to the left on the fairway. Also, keep a close eye on the distance to those bunkers and maybe choose a different club to lay-up short or go over.

• TartanArmy
    10 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 8:23 AM

The problem there though is that when the wind was coming from the left, I would compensate and then slice my shot big time, catch the wind, and end up in real trouble haha. Probably needing some practise. If yer looking for a playing partner some time, give me a shout FTM

RSS