Forums

Help › Forums

Re: A little more forgiveness on puts please

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 24 2009 2:31 PM (8 replies)
  • damianicus
    2 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2009 7:47 AM

When you don't hit your drive perfectly, you still land in the fairway. Why should I miss a 1.4 foot put by not nailing the accuracy mark?

Also when the ball is on the green the shadow is very unrealistic (on both left and right of ball). Either remove it or just have it on one side.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2009 12:56 PM

I know where you're coming from. I still over estimate my putts to make it to the hole but if I see my ball sit 2 inches from the pin one more time! It's the realism or deviations or whatever you want to call it...I call it a lot of things when it happens =O

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 7:40 PM

On short putts with a good amount of break, you may wish to intentionally push or pull the putt according to the break.. It's easier to miss good than hit perfect. Just a thought, hope it comes together for ya.

• Hydronix
    39 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 8:40 PM

With all due respect, you can miss the mark by a great deal on a 1 footer and still make the putt. It is certainly a lot easier to make a 4 foot slider on WGT than it is in real life. I think that the putting interface is quite realistic as is: shorter putts are quite easy to make and allow for a significant margain of error, while longer putts, like in real golf, require more in the way of precision and present a greater degree of difficulty.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 12:06 AM

I agree with Hydronix.  I think the putting is fine.  Although, with respect to MrBoo, I do not ever recommend intentional mis-clicking.  You cannot accurately gauge the severity of a mishit as it will change from shot to shot.  Missing early does not always guarantee it goes left.  If you've ever missed left and had an iron spray right, you know what I mean.

Ding is bling.  Maybe that will catch on... :D

• Hydronix
    39 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 12:24 AM

Well said. Although I'm guilty of it, intentionally clicking early or late, especially with the putter, is probably not the best system. You can hit 10 putts identically, all of which you click early in order to hit the putt left of a target, and you'll pull them to different degrees. Also, if you click quite early to account for a slippery left-to-right putt, you'll often lose power as the result of miss-hitting the putt and come up short. Change your target line, and hits putts square everytime. It's difficult, but it's how to be consistent.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 2:30 AM

damianicus:
    When you don't hit your drive perfectly, you still land in the fairway.

Depends on the driver! Get the unforgiving R9 driver (monstrous distances, but...) and see your Fairways Hit % drop below 50% fast, if you don't play carefully.  

Likewise, there are 4 different putters to choose from. If you're frustrated with putting, subsidize WGT with $4 out of your wallet (they definitely deserve it) and get the more forgiving Spider putter.

I believe the putting difficulty in this game is just as it should be. Not too easy with the advanced putters, either, and not impossibly difficult.

• damianicus
    2 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 6:01 AM

Thanks for the replies. They prove you guys are passionate about this game. I made the post because I have played a LOT of golf games over the years. From console to PC to handheld. And though I appreciate that WTG is challenging, the number of times I've missed a very short put doesn't feel realistic to me.

Yes, you wgt vets can say I don't have the skllz yet. I suppose. I was just making the observation as a vet of computer golf games that the putting seemed a bit too hard. I do however appreciate a golf game that takes nearly as long to master as the game itself. So it wasn't a complaint.. only an observation.

Thanks for the advice someone gave about upgrading to the Spider putter. I'll try that out

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 2:31 PM

Well I'm just talkin putts within about 5 feet niv. It seems consistent enough from short range. I use the spider, so maybe it doesn't work too well with lesser putters. Then again maybe it's just my inability to aim the shorties that makes me do it this way =D

RSS