Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What is PUNCH for?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 13 2009 2:31 PM (7 replies)
  • RoaringTiger
    2 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 5:45 PM

Why not just use full power, atleast you get more power with it. What are the advantages of using punches and when should you use them?

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 5:53 PM

To use PUNCH you'll need the JUDY puppet, too.

Just kidding.  In real golf "punch" is a shot technique you use to keep the ball flight lower than normal to go under tree branches or into a strong headwind.  It is an effective shot but does travel less distance.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:08 PM

Hi,

I dont use it a lot. Maybe ocassional second shot into very strong head wind.

Most effective hitting out of rough, keeping the ball flight low and getting good run on the fairways.

Also especially useful if you are hitting to a down hill green.

Cheers Doug

1,644 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:11 PM

It can also be an extremely useful skill (more on kiawah than bethpage) to run a ball up to the hole.  Much more reliable and less affected by 'the beast' (search it if you don't know it).  You have to know the actual carry and roll yardages of the shots though.  It takes some time to get it down, so you'll need to practice it.

Lee

*edit* ninja'd by Doug... I'm getting rusty!

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2009 9:39 AM

It can also be used sometimes if you are in between clubs and you want to use a full swing meter as not to throw off your rhythm. Obviously, this can only be done if you have plenty of room to run the ball.

• casique1
    370 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2009 11:15 AM

I use it a lot with very good results, but is difficult to say in witch situation, it depends of a lot of factors,,,,, one can be for come out from the deep rough, but also to roll well-directed shots ...... but much more....

• lilmike24
    185 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2009 5:53 PM

Avatarlee, Dorffeatures, and Speedsychic have stolen three out of the four reasons i use it for. I've found that at times when in the rough, mostly the deep rough the punch is better to get it farther down the fairway. This might be something that just works for me though.

• sealseal
    67 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 2:31 PM

I use punch sometimes because it stay low so if there is a head wind, it goes pretty far. Also, when a punch shot lands, it usually rolls a long distance so its good to get some distance, too.

RSS