Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New Clubs

Thu, Jan 20 2011 11:06 AM (6 replies)
  • neyguy
    23 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2010 9:46 PM

I am a level 41 amateur and want to purchase a complete new set of clubs.  I am looking at a Tour Burner Steel irons set, K15 driver, 3 wood , and Hybrid.  One of the extra wedges I have in mind is a 60 degree Z Satin TP 60.  I would also like to get a 52 or 54 degrree wedge but am not sure which one.

I could use some advice. 

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sun, Dec 26 2010 1:14 PM

If you haven't done so...try out the Starter clubs.  They are a little harder to hit (Faster Swing Meter) but it can make you familiar with a faster meter when you upgrade, and playing with the Starters, you will get a little more distance and better attributes than Beginner clubs. 

Everyone needs to do their home work and buy what's best for them.  I suspect, for many, the final decision was based on price, which could  be a mistake in the long run.  Keep in mind that clubs with faster meters are generally harder to hit, and although less expensive, you will be compelled to buy balls to slow the meter down.  That's the reason clubs with slower meters (available in the mid range) are a lot more expensive.  

Look at attributes and distance gaps between clubs...try keeping it consistent.  I would not recommend buying a Driver, 3W, Hybrid with a slower swing meter than the iron set.  That's because you'll need to adjust swing speeds whenever you change clubs which affects timing.  Down the road, taking your game to the highest level, at least as far a equipment is concerned, will require the skill to hit a faster meter.  So maybe now is as good a time as ever to make the adjustment.

I use the Z Satin Irons and they work for me.  

Joey

• neyguy
    23 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:07 AM

Joeyola,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my cry for help.  I am still using the starter clubs but your suggestion to try the starter clubs first might be the way to go.  I need to get use to the faster meter gradually.

The slower ball approach is also a good idea.  You are right however that whatever I do it is a good idea to keep the same swing speed with all the clubs.  I have looked carefully at the distance gaps in my wedges to cover the areas I want covered.

Right now I have adjusted fairly well to the beginner clubs and I'm cautious about switching to new clubs.  On occasions I will hit my driver 260 yards and a faster swing speed only gives me another 25 yards.  When I move up from the amateur status, always the optimist, and move back in the tee box it may require to move up my swing speed.

Lots to consider but thank you again for taking time to share your thoughts.

Neyguy

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 12:09 PM

Don't be in too big of a hurry to move up, it will happen naturally as you progress.  Unfortunately, WGT does not give us a real target for advancing.  Keep in mind that promotions always come at the expense of tougher competition and harder conditions that compel us to buy better equipment...not saying that is a bad thing, but it's one of the ways they make money around here...keep that in mind.  There is also a psyche game in play...for example, there is a reason why new players are called HACK.  

Good advice is to be patient, learn the ropes, play your best, play all the courses and post all your scores...then you'll play in the tier where you belong.

Joey    

• UGGGGJMM
    68 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:30 AM

HI i am a level 45 amateur and habve started with WGT only mid November 10. I had started with the beginner clubs but when I felt convenient to the game system I have bought this week the set of GOLF TOUR PLUS .  Before I made my decision I rented 2 -3 different sets also PING and TAYLOR MADE  but the meter speed was much to fast.

However with GOLF TOUR PLUS I am very very happy and have also obtained super excellent results.  May you try out also

regards UGGGGJMM

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 4:40 PM

UGGGGJMM:
    However with GOLF TOUR PLUS I am very very happy and have also obtained super excellent results.

Looks like a good choice for newer players that can afford them.  More distance and precision with a slow meter, like beginner clubs.   

UGGGGJMM:
    Before I made my decision I rented 2 -3 different sets also PING and TAYLOR MADE  but the meter speed was much to fast.

As to the meter speed...one of the biggest advantages of having a slower meter is you won't need to buy balls.  But the clubs you bought are not designed to compete at the highest levels.   There, you'll need to know a faster meter, especially if you get clubs with the best precision that have max distance.  You can practice with a faster meter with your Starter clubs as well.

Take a good look at your wedges...that is where you'll hit the shots that give you a good chance for one putts.  There is a big gap between your new PW and your Starter SW (30 yards).  This could make it difficult to hit, with precision, a shot in between those yardages.  Most of our best players have at least 3 wedges in their bag so keep that in mind when you are shopping.

Joey

• UGGGGJMM
    68 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 11:06 AM

Hi Joey, I appreciate your advises. After having tested other clubs I am now very happy with Tour Plus clubs and the starter putter as well as " unlimited balls. I have received by this the best results up to now and I am now level 56 and avg score 80.40.  Playin every day 2-3 courses is a good training.  I fully understand that WGT is benefitting of buying new clubs and balls and I dont mind to invest if the results are satisfactory. I had also tried clubs with higher speed but they are too fast for me. I play not only WGT golf but I am a club member in a  normal German golf club (handicap 26.9).

What I have found out from my play statistis is that your game is depending of the software system. When you played f.e. hole 5 ( Par 4)  with 5 strokes  the next time you are ending up also with 5 strokes. If you are lucky you make a par.

RSS