Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New player from Chicago, IL

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 15 2009 7:08 PM (2 replies)
  • bowl818
    12 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 6:38 PM

Hi all!  I just found this new virtual golf game and I may be "hooked" already!  I only golf 3-5 times a year myself.  But I'm sure this game will teach me a lot quicker!  My best personal score is a 71.  And that was after 6 holes, so I quit!  haha

Seriously... I guess my first test on this virtual WGT was kind of bad timing.  My very first experience was on the Qualifying 2009 US Open course.  A starter score of 105 seems about right.  I'm sure I'll get better over time and look forward to joining the community!

Just to start out I have one question!  My starter set of clubs looks decent enough.  But the 10.5 degree driver seems like its 15 years old or something.  Is there any way the average player here can drive 260+ yards like the pros do in real life?  My drive average seems to be a meek 215-220 and I cannot seem to hit the par 4 or 5 greens in regulation.  I know this course is tough, but dang. 

Any helpful tips on what to do or where to look would be appreciated!  Once again I look forward to joining you all on the links.

Bowl818  (and yes - I really did bowl an 818 series!  :)  )

• bowl818
    12 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 7:02 PM

Ah - I did some more surfing and found the various tournaments that are available including the KIAWAH tournaments.  Hopefully it will be an easier course.  Wish me luck!  :-)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 7:08 PM

Welcome!!

To answer about the clubs...currently the best driver in the game barely gets to 240.  (this is to change in the near future, after the USGA USOpen promotion).

You can buy new equipment for credits... credits won in tourneys or purchased for cash at 1¢ each... (100 credits for $1.00)

Should you buy this 'best' driver, you need to realize it is less forgiving and the swing meter is faster.  Best plan is to, as you have found, play a lot of kiawah until you get a good grasp of the game then decide if you want to try the other clubs.

And, to answer your question.. there IS a way for the average player to hit 260 here.. it involves a lot of tail wind and a sprinkler head or two!  =)

Good luck and welcome!

RSS