Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Hitting shots close

Tue, Jun 16 2009 7:22 AM (6 replies)
  • Decarz2
    24 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2009 3:33 AM

Does anybody have any tips for hitting my approach shots close. I'm an ok iron player you could say. I usually hit about 3 to 10 yards away. But I need to get it closer.

So Tibbets and Avatarlee please help me out.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2009 6:46 AM

It's all about putting D.

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2009 6:47 AM

The key to good approach shots is:

1. Choosing the right club and Power/Spin/Line

2. Executing it properly.

To get the right club you need to take the following into consideration.

1. Your lie (are you in rough/sand ?)

2. Line to the hole (are there trrees in the way??)

3.  Distance to the hole

4. Is the green on a drop or elevation?  If it is elevation you need to add more distance to the club to get the carry.  But remember when the ball comes down it lands higher up in its trajectory so will roll farther.  The opposite is true for drops in elevation.  The ball will land much more perpendicular to the surface, so will roll very little

5.  Wind.  The wind will add or take away distance.  It will change the line.  Cross wind appears worse if you dont hit an "excellent' shot.  9MPH appears to add or take away about 5 yards.

6.  The green.  You need to know the green.  For example 11 on Bethpage has a huge ridge on the green.  I always add 5 yards to my approach.

7.  Know your clubs.  Know what they do, how far they carry, what spin does to them etc.

Lets start with that and then let me know if you have any more questions.

• memmiller
    2 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2009 7:41 AM

do you push the red dot on the ball up or down and what's the difference?  Which shot is better for more distance?

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2009 8:10 AM

Bottom spin lifts the ball higher.  Top spin keeps the balls flight lower.  But the higher you go the shorter your distance, as it does not have a good roll.  The top spin does not go as far because the roll takes away distance from the friction of the roll.  I find the middle is actually USUALLY the farthest, but often I need the carry (#12 BP) so I will use it when needed from the T.

Look at the T shots of the other players when you are playing and you will see the ones using top or bottom from the T.  The ball flight is that different and visible.

Generally if I need to shorten up a club  adding bottom spin will take 3-6 yards off it depending on the club.

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 4:18 AM

WaterTrap has summed it up nicely, the only thing I'd like to add is..... PRACTICE!!!  It takes a long time to fine tune your game and get to know your clubs.  And you need to know them inside/out!  If you buy new clubs... EXPECT to have a minimum 1 or 2 week learning curve, and then you need to fine tune all over again.  Stick with what you are comfortable with if you can, just because newer and better clubs come out does not mean you need to jump in and buy them right away... If what you have is doing the job, stick with it, if it's not, weigh the differences of the new clubs and make a decision then.

Lee

• Decarz2
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2009 7:22 AM

Everybody thank you for all of your help, Since you helped me I would like to add all of you as my friends. plz accept. If you decline i'll get angry. And you won't like me if i'm angry. LOL :)

RSS