Help › Forums

Re: So What Happens On The Day Of Final Round - Some Thoughts

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:51 AM (7 replies)
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 2:26 PM

Hi all...

As things stand right now I would make it - with my 71 - certainly this may change and I will keep practicing.   

So now that we are in the throes of the Qualifying Round - a thought ocurred to me.  I have certainly practiced plenty.  To some degree it feels like it is somewhat expected that any one of us can "learn" to engineer a respectable score on Bethpage. 

We have - to some degree  trained ourselves through the qualifying round to have a bit of a trial-and-error "do-over" try-it-again approach- which can (ARGUABLY) result in a bit of a robotic/formulaic approach.  THE ONE VARIABLE IS THE WIND - which is never necessarily the same twice in a row.  This forces some thought and adjustment.

We have learned to have thoughts SUCH AS:

"On this hole you click just short of the line because the slight pull helps"

"On that hole you use backspin every time and you are within 10 feet of the hole"

MY POINT IS THIS:  Will WGT test us - our true adaptability and our TRUE SKILL in the final?  THIS IS WHERE THE POTENTIAL RUMORS MAY START.  That is not my intent - but I think my points are worthy of thinking about.

WHAT IF?....we wake up on the day of the FINAL ROUND and find one of the following:

1.  All of the Pin Placements have changed on every green.

2.  It is POURING RAIN.

EITHER of these situations would surely introduce a new and unknown factor and FORCE everyone to fiddle around with their club selections and so on.  Something like this would TRULY TEST the ability of the Final Round Qualifiers.  In a certain way it certainly would "re-level" the playing field - FORCING us to "think on our feet" and adapt.  Everyone would be presented with the same set of circumstances and come what may.

It might be wihful thinking that anything like these (or another) scenario might occur.  BUT IT COULD.  (Don't email me - I know NOTHING - I am just surmising.)

Think about it...and I guess we will see on June 22.

Best Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 2:33 PM

Heh, bring it on.  Switch everything up.  The harder the better, as far as I'm concerned.

• MElli22631
    32 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2009 2:41 PM

Doubt they could do the update quick enough - but using Sunday Pins from the real Open would be a great surprise.

• gitthe
    66 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 12:14 PM

Admins.  Will the conditions for the championship round be the same for every player (i.e., everyone has 15 mph head wind on hole 1), or will it be like past tournaments where all players play in the same "category" of wind strength, green speed so wind speed/direction differs for each player.

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 12:22 PM

I  agree with Mell.  Use the real pin spots!!!

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 1:12 PM

I suspect we'll be seeing high wind conditions for the finals, similar to what the Pro and Master players are seeing in the weekly tournaments.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 1:32 PM

Woah... high winds, fast greens, and Sunday Pins....

Can you say "Winner plays bogey golf??!

That would be cool to watch and painful to play ... lol!

• JGates
    158 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:51 AM

I'm sure everyone has thought of this as well.....  You only get 1 chance on the final round.  I'm sure even Tibbets doesn't shoot a 62 every time.  I know I have some bad rounds.  So much pressure on that final round, and then if they do move the pin placements, oh man.  This could be really tough!  I'm excited!!

I think this would actually make it more realistic.  Professionals don't get to shoot at the same pin every round.  Change it up and we will see the the most skilled players come to the front.

RSS