Forums

Help › Forums

Re: HOW TO HIT CHIP SHOTS?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 11 2009 10:30 AM (9 replies)
  • Turkish4211
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2009 2:46 PM

I always hit it fat. is there any secret?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2009 3:59 PM

If it's flat hit the chip for what it's rated.

In other words, if you have 10 yards to hole, hit your SW (or whatever is closely rated for 10yd).

The problem people get themselves into is trying to chip with 7-irons and 8-irons and using half of the meter.  In real life, that's a bump and run and is a nice tool to have in the bag.  However, in this game, you can't use the meter that way for chips or pitches.  Anything less than 50% or 60% will most often give you a bad result.

The other thing people forget is elevation.  If you're chipping to a pin that is above the ball, then you need to know if the green is flat or not.  A lot of times you're chipping up a hill to a flat green.  The ball lands on the green with a much lower trajectory than normal and thus, rolls much farther than anticipated.  Watch out for the elevation change and note if it's a gradual change or an instant change.  Check the slope of the part of the green you're landing on as well to make sure you're not chipping into a downhill or uphill slope.

Practice makes perfect. :)

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2009 8:42 PM

i like chips, i have been using them from anywhere inside 30 yards...

u just need to practice them:)

• Pressto
    56 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2009 5:05 AM

Fire your caddie if he recommends a chip in the 2nd cut of rough unless you are right on the edge of the green.

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2009 11:58 AM

Club speed matters also - for example in 2nd cut rough the Pings and TM you don't have to add as much compensation yardage as with a slower wedge

• Bullet1001
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 7:51 AM

I find the chip shots very inconsistent, even allowing for elevations etc. I'll try these useful tips though.

• ToughCool
    70 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 9:20 AM

I have found a new way for me to get around longer chips where I don't trust the distance...if it is in the rough around 20 yards or more..even a little less..I go back to a full shot and use my 65 degree wedge that stops on a dime. It's my favorite club. You can take it back a small way and it lands soft without getting caught in other rough.

If it is just off the green I use the chipping clube that goes with my yardages on wedges...18, 11, or 9 and take into account the rough...if it is 9 yards in 40-50% I use the 11% and run it.

• dbungarz
    68 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 6:56 PM

I've thrown away the "chipping" option from my shot selection.  It is almost completely useless.  A prime example would be my last round at bethpage.  I had 9 yds to the pin.  Caddie gives me a 9 yd chipping club from the bag.  I have about 3 yds of fringe/fairway and I hit a full shot.  The ball hits once and stops on the edge of the fringe.  Now, I just use the pitch shots.  Consistent all the time.  I would chime in on the average drive, but it sounds as though mostly everyone feels the same way about a 215 yd drive. 

Regards,

David

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 8:35 PM

David  If the fringe is wider then the chip will clear, you need to use a pitch.

• dbungarz
    68 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2009 10:30 AM

Agreed.  If the ball won't clear the fringe or fairway, the ball will stop.  One day I will use the chipping feature again, but for now, just pitching is fairly consistent.  My goal is to hole out, but still leave it within 2ft for the putt.  This is a great game, but the distances from the clubs are bad.  One day they'll address it, but they'll make the courses longer. 

RSS