Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Improvements = Enjoyment

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 31 2009 6:41 PM (1 replies)
  • gonzo52
    6 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 5:32 PM

First I would like to say I appreciate the opportunity to "see" & play BETHPAGE but having read a lot of the comments I believe there is a great opportunity to improve the experience.

I agree with the unrealistic club distances, (especially when you rarely get full distance even with a "perfect" swing), detracting from a great challenge at BP. I just shot 73 (previous rounds of 81 & 79), with 22 putts using  the starter set & could have shot 67 at best without  2 mishits & 1-putting all 18 greens. I don`t see where upgraded clubs adding 5% distance would make much, if any, difference in my round.

I would like to see realistic club distances & the more flexibility  to work the ball, draw/fade/high/low/backspin. I am short/170lbs/over 55 & hit my driver 280-300+ yds & my PW 145 yds, (yes the new tecnology is a wonderfull thing). As for the course itself the rough should be less forgiving & the greens much faster, ie subtract at least 1.5-2 ft. per inch of downhill break. This is how the Pros will play the course during the Open. Their skill to hit their shots to the best position for the next shot is what allows them to post a good score, (ie correct side of the fairway for best angle to the pin/ below the pin on the green/ etc.)I would be much happier  shooting 81 because " I " played poorly than because I do not have the length to play a 7400 yard course.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 6:41 PM

After giving this some thought, I really think WGT has the US Open setup right. What is the US Open all about? Making par a good score and birdies hard to come by. That's exactly how they have it setup. Of course it's different than real golf, it has to be. It's much easier to hit it perfect here then in real golf, I would hope all the real golfers here could agree about that. So WGT has to go about differently, but at the end of the day PAR is a good score on any given hole. Whether you like the US Open or not that is what it's all about for them.

RSS