Help › Forums

Re: Enjoying Bethpage :)

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 27 2009 8:28 PM (8 replies)
  • JohnnyHexx
    10 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 2:28 PM

Hey All,

I just wanted to thank the makers of the game for a great representation of Bethpage Black! Woohoo!

I will never be the best player on this game or even in the top 100, but I do enjoy a great challenge....and wow is this course a challenge!  All this for free? Sweet.

I haven't bought any clubs yet but am thinking about it....still need to hit the stripe on putting consistently :)/

Anyone ever want to play a fun round look me up!

JohnnyHexx

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 3:24 PM

Finally.. someone who 'gets it'... 

Awesome, JohnnyHexx... I'll look you up!

Cheers

• backspin63
    67 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 4:45 PM

Johnn: Im glad you like the game and the challenge of Bethpage Black.. as you may have read alot of folks want to play the game but want the game less frustrating and more simple. They want to hit the greens like they do when they play on the weekends (All of them ) hit All the fairways and make all the putts!.. just like they do on the weekends! This FREE game is the close'st to the real deal I can find.. I play on the weekends and I have yet to hit all my fairways or make all my 30ft birdie putts or hit all my greens in regulation but some how I still manage to enjoy the game. By the way I did buy a full set of taylormade clubs for less than $18.00 and I do play taylormade in real life!! I read on another post some guy was not happy with his taylormade wedges because they dont spin the ball llike they should! These guys complaining must be some very good golfers who put spin on the ball like a yo-yo when they want it to! OR I bet they play to a HCP somewhere in the 20's or up and live out a fantasy here on this site! Have fun Johhn and please dont get caught up in the mess like some of the few on this game. Practice Practice and enjoy!

• spikel
    100 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 5:39 PM

Backspin, I think you've got us all wrong. Most of us whiners enjoy a good challenge as much as you do, but it becomes ridiculous when you can not possibly reach a couple fairways. We don't want to shoot unrealistically, but we also don't want the course to play unrealistically as it does now. I think an added ten yards with less forgiveness would be a fair trade off, and it would fix most of the problems with the course. I don't want to hit every fairway and every green, but I also don't want the course to play unfairly as it does now.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 7:11 PM

A reply to all.

Johnny, glad you found us, this is a definite challenge and all for free, if you choose to keep it that way.

Snaike I'm with you, Ive got it, and I'm addicted.

Backspin. I'm not complaining, only wondering if the programmers have it right. When I upgade clubs it should reflect it. I not afraid to cough up the dough, I just want a difference when I do. I've won a total of .37 cents with an investment of over 20 bucks. The best .37 cents I ever earned...priceless....  :-}

Spikel. I'm not really thinking the course is unfair, but the club distance may be. Wgt has stated changes in the works, because we all know, a hack cannot hit the same distance as a master. Once this distance issue has been addressed, a much happier cast of players will ensue. After all, I started at 150 rank like everybody did, and with practice and commitment, I now post a average of 61.75.  Keep it up, over and over and over, it will get easier, granted not without madness and banging of the keyboard,cussing and pledging never to play again, and then signing on again for another go round.

What we all need to remember is this is a game in a testing phase. Some wish to complain, some wish to comment, and some wish to help in the process of making it better. It's up to us to decide who is who.

Enjoy your play

Mike

• spikel
    100 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 7:19 PM

Chaos I completely agree with you, the game takes pracice seeing as I've been a member here for over two years and I still haven't even come close to mastering it. I'm starting to get better at Bethpage and finally made the cut shooting a 74. I'm also glad to hear that there is a distance fix in the works.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 7:34 PM

Man... Wish I could make the cut.... I really want one of those hats !  I keep dumping my rounds, staring at a 2 footer on 18, with a +10 behind me. Oh well, one of these days I'll have my lucky round, like my 29 on the back of kaiwah, and make the cut. Until then, best of luck to you all.

Enjoy your play

Mike

• JohnnyHexx
    10 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 8:06 PM

Well I broke down and bought some clubs :) 

I picked up the R9 Driver and the Tour irons!!

I noticed a big difference right away...able to reach the fairways now and I actually like the faster swing bar...easier for me to hit close to the stripe for some reason.

The best I could do on Bethpage with the free clubs was an 80, but I got a 78 with these new ones!  And I know I left some shots out there :)

Anyways, thanks to all for the warm welcome and we will see you out on the links!

JohnnyHexx

• backspin63
    67 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 8:28 PM

Spikel: Im sorry if I read you and a few others worng I mean that.. I understand where you are coming from although if we look at it from the layout of the corse in question Bethpage Black, we are all playing from the tips I think this is because the actual US open is played from the tips ..so should the virtual game as well. Im thinking this is why the folks that run this site set it up to play this far back. I have  a great respect for your opinion I have read some of your post's and they have never come off in a bad way or negative! With that said.. speaking for myself.. If I had the chance to play that corse in real life, I think I would try it from the tips just to get the true feel from it. I drive the ball fairly deep of the tee box average 280, but as you know when the box is set back the whole layout changes. Yes I do agree that the new drivers seem a bit short on well struck drives in this game, but I think they will fix all bugs in the near  future. Once Again Spikel I do respect your opinion.

RSS