Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Here's a chance.....

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 2 2010 4:45 PM (5 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:10 PM

....for you to weigh in on how you think the tiers were determined. We all know WGT is going to keep it close to the vest so what do you think?

After reading post after post all about the update (all over the place too, Mr. Moderator) and the problems it has caused for many, particularly a tier promotion, a  couple of thoughts came to mind. The first was how I thought they did it and the second was how it would affect sandbagging. On the first thought I believe a number of factors went into it, each with its own weight. Feel free to add what you think counted.

• Length of time here
    • Frequency of play
    • Tournaments entered
    • # of top 10 or 100 placement in those tournaments
    • Ranked rounds
    • Earnings
    • Stats-whole or individual
    • Average

If a value of importance was assigned to these and totaled you could easily break down the results any way you like. There has always been 7 green speeds for this game and it looks like this might be when they're all used, 1 for each tier. When the dust settles I think everybody will be where they're supposed to be. You shot your way into whatever tier you're in. While it might seem that some Legends got hosed the same could be said for any of the tiers if you got bumped a level-you would be at the bottom of the food chain for a while. You'll still be with a lot of others in the same boat, basically on even keel. 

On the sandbagging affect I find it almost comical. All those players that protected that average and laid in wait now find themselves amidst their own talent level in Tournaments and at a disadvantage of sorts playing another tier (green speed, tees.) This is where I think that experience level is going to give you a clue about who you're playing. WGT stated this was not for addressing the sandbagging issue but on the surface it could be viewed as a start. Quitting a round is going to save your average but the level gets updated shot by shot, birdie/eagle by birdie/eagle.  Heh-go ahead and quit-the level will still grow. Interpret it in whatever way works for you.

This is just what I think. Add to it or shoot it full of holes. :-)

• RampantFrenzy
    106 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:25 PM

levels you mean...?

pretty sure tiers is score based still.. unless I misunderstood something somewhere

• Wolfedog37
    3 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:40 PM

Here is the problem with the new ranks.when you get tossed into master from pro and had no chance to buy master equipment cause your tier wouldn't let you under the old system now you can't compete from the back tees with the old pro stuff.can't reach some fairways with the pro drivers.somethin has to change or let the new masters have a 1 time buy of clubs.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:41 PM

RampantFrenzy:
    pretty sure tiers is score based still.. unless I misunderstood something somewhere

It would have to be more than that. There's Masters with 70 averages in the Legends tier.

• MDOCTOR
    6 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 5:37 PM

I agree totally. One day I'm enjoying the game as a Pro trying to become a Master and the next I wake up and I'm a Master. The problem with this is that under the old system I would have had an opprotunity to buy Master's level clubs as the WGT moved me back on the tees. Now I cant Drive far enough to compete. My second shot to an average par 4 should not always be a 3 wood or 3 iron, not always! If I cant' hit a scoring club (i.e. 7 iron through LW) than I cant score. And what about the wind and the speed of the greens? WGT I am a Golf Teaching Professional. I teach golf almost everyday and play an average of 3 real world rounds a week. There is not a day that goes by that I dont have a golf club in hand. Trust me when I tell the WGT just became even more unrealistic than it was when players had 56.00 averages and 9 hole round scores of 25. As players progress in real life they are able to purchase the equipment needed to play at their level or they dont advance, they cant'! Only PGA Pros face these types of scenerios and course conditions and thats only on Thursday through Sunday (they even stoped the British Open for 30+ winds), and at least they have equipment sponsors. If you force me back to Tournament Tees, thats find, I need Tournament Clubs! Well I guess I'm back to playing EA Sports Tiger Woods!

• Errant
    72 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 4:45 PM

Hey Doctor buy yourself some Tour GI-SD balls and you'll do fine. I was a pro that was bumped to a master and after changing my balls, have played pretty well. I just played 18 at Kiawa and shot -3. It would have been -5 except for a stupid mistake on my part.

RSS