Help › Forums

Re: 2 Questions reg. Bethpage Black

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 26 2009 1:21 PM (4 replies)
  • casique1
    370 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 1:01 AM

hi

1.- is there a diference between the darker and the brighter sides of the freeways ?

2.- Are the trees now does relevant ? I think i have hit them twice !?!

thx for answering

regards

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 2:57 AM

In real golf I believe the darker looking grass runs towards the hole, It just way they cut it.Dark cuts are all cut one way and light side is cut all the same the other way. Depends how the sun hits it.Players like to hit going with the grain most of the time. Can become quite artistic as you see many baseball fields are cut like that. I was told grain has no effect on shots on WGT.

relevant ? Got to look that up..but the trees dont duck out of the way anymore.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 1:07 PM

Casique ....

I don't know if you get a chance to watch American Baseball in Germany, or if you have an equivalent... but some ball parks mow their fields in certain patterns just for the visual effect.  I think that is what is going on with the first holes of BP.  I noticed toward the end that the effect was missing.  So, to answer your question, imho... no, the lighter and darker areas make no difference on the fairway, just a visual effect.

And yes, now trees are in play.  (ouch).... I need to bring my 3-chainsaw-iron next time.

Cheers!

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 1:13 PM

if i remember right, the guy at bethpage said they cut the grass opposite to split the color so you can see the center point of the fairway. Cause the elevations get so nuts sometimes its hard to pick up where it ends

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 1:21 PM

Shaun.. I had not heard that... but I must say:

Brilliant Idea!

Cheers!

RSS