Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Individual Golf Skills,,,

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 9 2010 1:47 PM (7 replies)
  • mrshazam
    126 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 4:29 PM

WGT,,,you have finally displayed your true colors...So tell me my fellow WGT Golfers,,,how does this happen? Played w/beginner clubs and cheap balls to a Pro level...Made masters w/a - 66 Average...New Clubs,,,$$$ balls,,,Master rating...and for the last to months,,,I'm lucky to break par...Now a 71.7,,,I play to meet new people ,,,love to play anybody new...just played a 150 hacker on St.Andrewe,,,and he beat me by one...are you telling me my virtual skills have gotten that bad

I LOVE GOLF ... SO i CAN LIVE WITH... " EVEN A GOOD PUTT DOESN'T ALWAYS FALL." 

So I hit the meter square,,,and funky bouce after funky bouce,,,and I'm battling just to even a match at nine w/a hack?

Is this realistic golf,,,or WGT,,,to bad so sad,,,we got your frickin money?

Championship flight golfer,,,beatin by newcomer,,,read these headlines evry day...Where is WGT,,,they hide behind a forum...get real WGT.

Your a business,,,you take my money,,,answer your consumer... 

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 5:31 PM

It is very simple. The master tier is much more difficult than the pro tier. The holes are much much longer and the greens are much much faster. And most of your equipment that served you well in the lower tiers is just not good enough to do the job in the master tier. The rapture irons lack the precision and distance of the g-10's or any of the other master irons. And starter wedges and starter balls with no spin will not come close to stopping on the very fast greens.And the spider putter lacks the precision to do  a good job on the very fast greens. The only thing the spider has in it's favor is it's forgiveness and slower meter speed. As for being beaten by a hack, he was playing from the shortest tees and putting on greens that are very much slower than the very fast greens of the master tier.

I am struggling right now as well. But I know it is not WGT. It is me. I make way too many mental errors and don't ding the meter nearly as often as I should.I have had a few great rounds in the past few days since I switched to the redwood putter. But not enough to get my average down below 72. But I know if I keep playing and learning and come more accustomed to the faster greens and watch the meter more closely the average will go back down.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 6:29 PM

Very well stated Sting.

Shazaam, your equipment is some what lopsided as Sting has suggested. To be competitive, you need a new set of precision irons, a new putter, and not to mention, new wedges. I suggest renting clubs to get a feel for what's right for your game.

But look, some Masters can tear these courses up with the Rapture irons, and starter equipment. You can always use a spin ball and increase your practice before entering weekly tournaments to be more competitive with the equipment you got too.

It's not WGT just taking the money and running either. There are all kinds of helpful aides WGT has put in place for members who struggle with the game. Here's one, and you can find answers to some of your questions here too.

I hope this is helpful for you. Hang in there!

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 8:09 PM

I think you just need to keep at it. I use roughly the same clubs as you. R9 driver for length, the old Rapture clubs (3i goes 190), a couple great wedges, and a Rossi putter. Often I use the free golf balls. I have no trouble staying under par, but there is definitely an adjustment period.

I've never been great on Bethpage, but it is a WAY different course from the master tees. Don't know about Oakmont as I have only played it as a master. Kiawah and St. Andrews are easier courses and really shouldn't provide you too much trouble or difference from when you played as a pro.

The putting definitely will be an adjustment. Another thing to think about, I looked at your score history. If all you play is St. Andrews, you will struggle to get better. Playing all the courses will help, because each course seems to have certain shots that work great. Once you can play all the shots (punch, pitch, chip, flop) esecially from different lies, you will have things sorted out. Finally, if you don't already do it, learn the flop shot. It is your best friend.

Keep at it. If my light is green, invite me. Maybe I can provide some insight on the course since we shoot with the same gear.

• TextMyPC
    232 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 8:22 PM

Shazam,

You've just described the norm for all of us. It takes a couple of months in the master tier to get used to the new tee's and the long iron approach shots.

Trust me, every master I know went through a pissed off stage for a few months before our game recovered.

As far as new clubs...well, there are many masters using many club variations including pro and freebie clubs.

Honestly, the master clubs make a world of difference. It's up to you if you want to spend the money, but I can honestly say, I can't play without them.

Also, new clubs means another month of practice to get used to the clubs.

So if you just entered the master tier and bought new clubs, expect 3 months to soak all of it in.

TMPC

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 9:56 PM

TextMyPC:

Shazam,

You've just described the norm for all of us. It takes a couple of months in the master tier to get used to the new tee's and the long iron approach shots.

Trust me, every master I know went through a pissed off stage for a few months before our game recovered.

As far as new clubs...well, there are many masters using many club variations including pro and freebie clubs.

Honestly, the master clubs make a world of difference. It's up to you if you want to spend the money, but I can honestly say, I can't play without them.

Also, new clubs means another month of practice to get used to the clubs.

So if you just entered the master tier and bought new clubs, expect 3 months to soak all of it in.

TMPC

Thanks TMPC I have been a master for a little over a month so i guess my struggles are about what you can expect. I Use both the master G-10 Driver and the TM Super-Tri as for right now I am far too inconsistent with the Super-Tri to play as well as I would like. No matter what ball I use a Gi ball to slow the meter or the tour sd ball with no feel I have a tendency to get trigger happy and click way too soon. And clicking way too soon with the super-Tri puts you in some awful places.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 7:14 AM

Hi mrshazam,

Most masters go through exactly the same issues as you are having right now. However with time and practice and maybe some new clubs, you can certainly improve your game and get your ranking down.

Dont forget - your ranking means nothing at Master level. Its what score you can post that matters, not how low your ranking is!!

Briefly looking at your game stats you seem to play predominantly 9 hole rounds. That I might suggest will not prepare you for the master tier. I think you have probably got to the master tier, like a lot of players,  without properly understanding exactly how the game works and knowing how all the clubs work.  Thats not a criticism my friend, but a reality for most players who get to the master level to quickly.

The top masters here have put in maybe 2000 to 3000 ranked rounds, (+ maybe the same in practice) they have learnt all the shots. They have a great short game, so if they do get into trouble they have the short game to get then out of it. Lastly of course they are great putters. You only achieve that level through total dedication, and for the top players on this site thats the price they pay.

The reality for most of us is that we will never get anywhere near what the top players can shoot.  I dont have the time, nor inclination, to put that kind of effort in. But hey - thats cool by me, I just play to enjoy myself, and try to improve my game as much as I can. I wish I could score better, I'm happy with that, and happy to keep on practicing and trying to improve my game.

Tip - get out on that practice fairway and start working on your short game and putting, its gonna take time but with practice you will improve. How far you go, depends on how much effort you put in.

I wish you well, and hope I have been of some assistance to you.

Good luck.

Cheers

Doug

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 1:47 PM

mrshazam:
    Your a business,,,you take my money,,,answer your consumer... 

They have, over and over and over again.  The posters above answered it, as well.

I understand that you are venting above.  But remember, there is a fine line between 'Venting" and "Whining".... 

RSS