Forums

Help › Forums

Re: short putts to hard

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 14 2009 11:34 AM (8 replies)
  • JJetmundsen
    1 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2009 11:21 AM

short putts in the game are way too hard compared to real life. I usually bring an approach shot within 10ft and then i 3 putt. The ball speed is messed and if the ball goea on the lip it never falls in. Make short putts a little easier

• icecolbud
    9 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2009 2:31 PM

I agree and I also noticed that the amount of break is not accurately portrayed. I had several putts that broke way more than the game showed and others that didn't break at all when the game showed severe breaks. It needs some work...

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2009 8:09 PM

Don't forget the wind affects putting now. A nice 5mph breeze might cause a slight break to be no break. Because a 5mph breeze will affect the ball trajectory on the green, but won't move a leaf on pavement....... (yes, slightly frustrated with putting right now).

• comebackcats
    4 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2009 10:41 AM

Something else I've noticed:  Putts coming up short at random.  I mean, c'mon.  I'veplayed a lot of golf and I've not seen a whole lot of putts roll right up to 3 inches from the cup and stop!  I'm not asking for "gimme's", persay but I've 3 putted MANY times due to what appears to be the ball having "magical" "brakes" 2 inches from the cup!

• jbowles824
    67 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2009 12:06 PM

If you search you will find where I ranted about 3 putts from 10 feet all the time. I was told to practice. And that is what i did.  I can only do so well because I do not have the hand eye ability of a lot of players on this game. But you now cannot put me in front of a twenty foot putt that I feel I cannot make. What is the difference, practice. The guys that are shooting 59 and 60 average are putting on the same greens you are and I am. They are not going to change things like putting to make it easier for a few folks. When I hit the amatuer ranks my average floats between 69.5 and 72. But practice is the key. There is a link somewhere that has a link to a site that gives putting tips that is not from WGT but it is good. Find it and read it and practice.  I can know generally 2 putt on any green from "almost" anywhere. But my days of 3 putts from 10' are over. In fact I can usually either sink a 10 footer or leave o 1-3" putt.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2009 2:17 PM

Practice is good and the right prescription for what ails ya 95% of the time, but also keep in mind that putts occasionally deviate from your target line, just like the rest of your shots do.  Everyone sees the deviations left and right, they're easy to spot.  However, there are also deviations of long and short too that are slightly harder to spot.

Deviations in general are the reason why your right to left breaking putt with left crosswind misses on the right side of the hole sometimes.  That's the game doing what it will do and unfortunately, no amount of practice will help you when this happens. Some rounds you will see deviations all over the place and some rounds you will only see a few of them or see them at non-critical times.  But again, no amount of practice will teach you how to predict a right deviation on a putt the breaks left.

Unfortunately at this moment, your end result is NOT always 100% based on your input and the conditions on the course.  Due to the low precision of our clubs, shots are often intentionally misdirected offline (up to 20 degrees left or right in some cases) immediately off the clubface and putting is no exception.  That's why you sometimes come up way short and other times blow it 5 feet past the hole with the same power selection.  Sometimes you miss on the left side when it's breaking right and vice versa.  In other words, not always rhyme to the reason.

Always give your putts a little extra juice and eliminate the chance the game has to force you to come up short.  Yeah, you might blow a few by when you do this, but at least you're effectively eliminating one of two possibilities.

Also, know that the wind is present on the green right now.  You'll need to adjust for it.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2009 3:09 PM

Hi All,

The putting guide jbowles refers to can be found here.

http://wgtgolfguide.com/category/tips/putting/

I think this will help you all.

I have receievd some positive feedback.

Good luck - but keep up the practice.

Cheers Doug

• jbowles824
    67 Posts
    Fri, May 8 2009 10:48 AM

Although my putting has improved a lot, trying to do it from the reverse angle is hard for me to get used to. I have imporved before going to the site and found tips that helped me even more. Thanks

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2009 11:34 AM

I am going to tell you a few secrets which I have learned over the rounds I have played...

On some holes, from certain side/location, putts are much shorter. as much as 3ft shorter than they indicate.

Perfect example of that is first par 3 on back 9, behind the flag/left side, it's consistenly 2-3ft short

Also, by playing many rounds, you will know where you want to endup on each hole. For example: you never want to be left/long on #13, etc

so, practice and practice. also, if you hit some shot that didnty play how u assumed, (ie short, or something),

take out a piece of paper and make a note: hole #, where you were, how long you had, wind direction, break you took, how hard you hit, what happened...

by keeping such notes, you will know in the future...

RSS