Forums

Help › Forums

Re: HACKS vs. AMATUERS

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 16 2009 5:11 AM (5 replies)
  • Xcalibr057
    2 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2009 9:03 AM

I've been noticing that the tourney leaderboards show better scores for the hacks than for the amatuers. This isn't right.

I think you should get an award and promotion the better your average gets. People playing with an average below 95 should be amatuers, >80 professionals, >70 experts. Then you can divide players by these categories and it doesn't screw up the leaderboards.

Another idea is to create a code that takes handicap into play for player's tourney scores. This is the whole point of having handicaps in the first place.

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2009 11:10 AM

I think a lot of that discrepancy is a result of sandbagging the tourneys. Better control over multiple accounts and the such should eliminate a lot of that.

However, I also think some of it can be due to the different tees the Hacks hit from versus the Amateurs. Shortening the distance of each hole has the effect of theoretically reducing the amount of club on each shot. Higher loft results in less roll. Less roll means a mishit won't leave you with a much longer putt than you normally would have. Shorter putts usually means better score and fewer overall putts.

• Xcalibr057
    2 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2009 10:41 PM

Thanks for the reply mo. I do think sandbagging is a problem on this site...and the shorter tees probably do result in lower scores. i guess i'm suggesting that there should be a way that course difficulty can be adjusted (i.e., moving flags on green, etc.) depending on people's handicap. this would reward good players by making the game more challenging and reduce the likelihood of people sandbagging their score...

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2009 11:49 AM

I would be really surprised if there weren't some variety in pin locations, etc in the eventual release product. However, I also think that better clubs with more distance and better precision should keep the scores low for the higher tiers despite the probable increased hole distances and pin locations.

• tomab
    517 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2009 1:57 AM

I noticed when I changed from hack to amateur that my score increased by 2-3 strokes on 9 holes. #2 is more difficult. Both par 3 holes is much more difficult. On #4 I don’t have distance enough to reach to the green every 3. round. In addition to this distance is generally longer and tee is placed more challenging.

Hope this explaines some of the difference in scores.

Tom.

• MikeMangan
    48 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2009 5:11 AM

There are separate leaderboards for hacks and amateurs, so I don't think sandbagging in regards to playing a shorter course in tournament play occurs. As for multiple accounts, that may be another story.

RSS