Help › Forums

Re: Help approaching uphill greens at Beth

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 10 2010 2:21 PM (5 replies)
  • micklen
    221 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 11:37 AM

Can't seem to find a solution for this one

On the Beth holes that you are hitting up to 30 feet uphill from the fairway, I am either hitting short because the irons don't seem to have the height required or I am JUST underclubbing, or, if I hit plenty to get up there the ball is coming in so flat I am just rolling through

I think, (Hope) this will change when I get Masters woods and get a lot closer off the tee, but, is there any thoughts or ideas about doing better at the Pro level

Mick

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 11:52 AM

I do this at the master tier, even with the R9. Must be some helpful tips out there.

• Kobalt46
    276 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:12 PM

I do this...If the green is 27 ft above  then I add 9 yds to club.....if it below  i take 9 yds off of club...So   if distance to hole is 84 yds and 23 ft above   then i would add roughly 7 yds  so i would need a hit of 91 yds give or take  depending on clubs and type of ball...Now  that not taking wind into consideration or ball spin...

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:16 PM

Forget it all.  Just made Master  :-(((

Another day or two would have been nice

Still.......

Mick

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:29 PM

micklen:
    is there any thoughts or ideas about doing better at the Pro level

Yes there is, mick. I played those same clubs to get to the master level last summer. You need to adopt a bit of a different mindset to play BPB with those. The lower flight trajectory of those will cause you problems at holes like 15 and 5. You're right, they don't have the height to get up on the green. That doesn't mean you can't score with them, you just need to use backspin a lot and overclub/underhit.

BPB8 is a good example. Your 4i hits that trap in front 9 out of 10 times, no matter what you do (unless you have wind help.)  However, your 3i with backspin hit about 90% will get there. It's a long putt, though. It only took me 100 tries with the 4i to figure this out. Duh.

Where you have long green in front of the pin those irons run well with topspin or slow down with backspin. They defeat the wind distance affect and are less susceptible to side winds. BPB 10 and 11 play well if you run up to the pin as does 16 and 17.

Try the SD ball. The extra spin and distance increase the length of your clubs about 3-5 yds but what they really do is instead of the club rolling out to its rated distance it lands closer to that distance and rolls past it. TMs have the highest spin rating so the extra spin of the SD really helps.

Eventually I believe you'll wind up with the G10s at the master level because they're easier to score with. I did but I keep the TMs for SA because they really help control the wind with the lower flight. The TMs stick pretty good so try attacking the pins using backspin or roll up to them with top spin. GL

*edit* lmao-wrote all that 15 minutes too late. Figure that, the post wasn't there when I responded. It sounded like you were nowhere near master. Sheesh

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 2:21 PM

YankeeJim:
    *edit* lmao-wrote all that 15 minutes too late. Figure that, the post wasn't there when I responded. It sounded like you were nowhere near master. Sheesh

I was hoping to remain pro for quite a while longer and my scores were't really improving, I guess they just got a bit more consistant

The info however will still be extremely useful as I intend to keep the TMs for a while.  I got the R9 driver and 3 wood as that was essential but I think the irons will serve me well for some time.  I MAY turn to the Tour preferred rather than the G10s eventually if my play warrants it as I am a TM man rather than Ping

Thanks again though YJ.  I can assure you the info will come in very useful for me and anyone else who reads it

Mick

RSS