Help › Forums

Re: Couple of Bethpage questions

Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:22 PM (5 replies)
  • enderson
    40 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 8:22 PM

Using G10s & Ping 3w I`m curious how you might play the following shots:

#4 - Par 5

Assume no severe wind and you have cut the corner over the bunkers and are well positioned near the end of driving zone.  Ever able to hold the green on the 2nd here?  Prefer bridling back on the high trajectory 3w even if a full 3I may get there?  The majority of the time are you laying up to the fairway on right for a short flop 3rd?

#7 - Par 4

Prefer trying to run a long iron up through the opening or trying to land the 3w just short?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:08 AM

enderson:
    #4 - Par 5

Hitting the green in 2 is almost impossible without a perfect storm. I like to play the hole driver, wedge, wedge. Lay up south of the lowest bunker and you'll have an easy, controllable wedge for a birdie. I like 70-80 yards out-use whatever fits your best approach wedge.  Further up the fairway you start bringing the slope of the green into play and it gets harder to get close as the landing is on the downside of the slope and the ball runs. Way up the fairway, which I think is where most players play to, you have an easy chip, pitch or flop to the birdie.

enderson:
    #7 - Par 4

It depends on where the pin is. When it's protected by the bunker when it's to the right it is very difficult to get close. There is not enough green in front of the pin to work with. The best you can do is play to the green for a long putt or lay up and take the par. When the pin is in the center back position you can run up to it with a long iron or fairway club for a decent birdie putt.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:49 AM

I reached the 4th on a pissed off attempt in which I opened up a tourney by parring the first 3 holes, despite having easy birdie putts.  Driver, 2hybrid, aimed left of bunkers, down wind (moderate).  Caught the rough just at the top of the peak, and it hobbled over onto the green.  Pin was front right, and never saw that putt.   I think thats the key, its possible but it will leave you a very long putt you never saw before.  I have eagled it twice chipping from the right of green on layup, that or 3 wood/8 iron/wedge is a safer almost assured birdie.

#7, pin right center, never got it close, no matter what club.  Best to run it up hopefully not past center of green leaving about 30+ft.  Center back pin, I have holed from 229 (in match play) with 2 hybrid and downwind by landing short and letting it run back, thats the play.  Almost assured par, which is all I hope for on #7.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:58 AM

BP 4

Couple of options.  Hit a top spin 3wood or 3 iron through the bunker or land a long iron on the rough peninsula in that bunker.  Play around with it a bit as yardage and club varies greatly according to wind but I have had several within 25 feet of front pin.  Couple within 15 of back pin.  Not a bad option to lay up to 25-27 pin high either.  Think I've holed about 10 from that spot.

BP7

Back pin I vary running up an iron or 3wood or flying a 3wood onto green if the wind is right.  Either way you have to be perfect on that shot to get it close.

Right pin I learned to play for center and try to make the 40 foot putt.  Done that twice.  Going for the pin is way too risky.  If you're late a hair there is some nasty 70 80 rough to the right of bunker.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:24 PM

BPB # 4 I try to play right and have about 40 yards into the pin.  I have reached in 2 a few times and had it stop but I do better playing right of the green.

BPB # 7 I try to play it at the pin when it is on the left back but on the right I just try to get to the middle of the green and make par.

• enderson
    40 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:22 PM

Interesting...soon after my post I managed to hold the green with a 3wood into a 7mph head wind by landing on the rough peninsula you mentioned.  I had not even considered hitting topspin through the bunker, sounds fun have to give it a try soon.

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated~

RSS