Help › Forums

Chipping from traps

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:06 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • rpcdllc
    48 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:20 AM
    Hello all, I read the section on chipping and it was very helpful, however it seemed to deal mostly with chipping from the rough or around the green. My problem, well one of many is that I can't seemed to hit out of traps. Not so much from fairway traps but closer to the green. I tried most of the settings and either hit it a mile long or it goes just a few yards. I am new to this site,tho I played here years ago ( much different fron then ) so I realize I need to practice,BOY do I need to but I was hoping for some tips to help me on my way. Thank you in advance for any and all comments.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:47 AM

rpc-Pitching and flopping work the best out of traps near the green. Pitching works when there isn't a wall in front of you and flopping works when there is. The sand will knock the yardage down according to your lie and you should know the flop shot comes out going to the right so you would need to aim accordingly. Also, do not baby these shots. Try to take as full a swing as you can, switching clubs if you have to. 75% is about as low as I would go on swing strength. Topspin and backspin will affect the shots but only if you're using equipment with spin capability. Hope this helps. GL

*edit-More here..http://wgt.com/forums/t/9225.aspx?PageIndex=2

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:53 AM

First off, chipping from a trap is usually a no no.......I usually pitch or use a full LW. or some time flop.  You also have to pay close attention to the lie percentage.  For example, at BethPage, the sand is often 15-20 %.  If I was 25 yds from the hole, i would probably hit a full LW(my 50yd club) about 70%. (i will have to check that % later to see if i'm correct) Be very careful about going below 50% power with any full clubs-(50% power does not mean 50% distance).  If the lie is 40-50 % sand, you have to hit it harder.  I also always put back spin on the ball.  The next time you are in a bunker, quickly write down the lie, the distance, what you hit, and how far it went.  Use this info the next time you are in a similar situation. 

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:12 PM

Well pointed out jcs id like to add with the 50 yard TM satin wedge this doesnt happen i use it full shot any % allowing for lie% with great results.

Thx CSC

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 3:02 AM

Can anyone offer me any reasons as to why there are certain bunkers, 4th, 10th & 17th on Kiawah, off the top of my head, where playing a flop shot at full swing results in the ball going no distance at all? I usually find the flop a very reliable and predictable shot saver but in these bunkers the only thing that's predictable is that you've picked the wrong shot.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 3:33 AM

If your trying to flop out of hard sand, never apply spin. 

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:13 AM

Thanks for that Infinito3010, never even crossed my mind that spin could be a factor. :^)

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:44 AM

#4 and #17 work fine for me with a flop, not sure about #10 not in there enough.

One important thing players need to remember about sand shots is that the misses are more magnified. If you are one that likes to miss one way or the other, then you will have a hard time in the sand. Hitting the mark is at a premium, as it should be, makes it a more challenging shot.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:50 AM

Lot of great tips in this thread.  Thanks everyone!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 6:12 AM

Some green side bunkers are more difficult to get out of than others. Take hole 10 at Bethpage for example. Hitting from this bunker (trap) is an extreme uphill shot. Wind will affect this shot and leave it short, way short  99% of the time. It's mostly a 30 yard or less shot with a 64 degree wedge, or (50 yards max distance) this is almost a full strength shot. I hit it about 90 to 95% and get a descent result compensating for the wind of course. The ball does not have a lot of roll, even with forward spin.

Watch for level lies from the bunker to the green. You can catch a flier or skull the shot. Take hole 2 at Bethpage for example. That bunker is relatively level with the green and if your 12 yards away, it's normally a 50% strength or less on a 41 yard max club (punch). Wind doesn't seem to affect these types of shots normally. Like it was stated previously, watch your lie % and allow for enough strength to make the shot effective. This is where practice comes in to play. Iconian wrote a great thread on this very subject.

Taylormade, 64 degree wedge = 50 yards max distance (full)

Taylormade, 64 degree wedge = 41 yards max distance (punch)

I have found the punch shot is most effective on distances of 20 yards and in from any lie, especially just off the green. Your shot results may vary with your club (wedge) type.

I hope everyone finds this helpful.

• PAGES
RSS