Forums

Help › Forums

What is that object in fairway at St Andrews nbr 5 ?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 16 2010 4:00 PM (5 replies)
  • StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 6:10 AM

What is that thing that looks like a brown horse collar in the middle of the fairway on St. Andrews hole number 5? Just curious. Despite the harangue and criticisms on some of the forums, I would like to thank WGT for a great job on introducing St. Andrews front 9, I find it alot of fun and really enjoy playing it. Lastly, is there a timeline to add the back nine to St. Andrews as well?

Thank you,  StrangeMagic

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 9:35 AM

StrangeMagic:
    What is that thing that looks like a brown horse collar in the middle of the fairway on St. Andrews hole number 5? Just curious.
    From this thread:

WGTniv:
    The markers are over 300 years old and since they are historical they can't be removed.

They do cover them during play because they are a safety hazard due to balls smacking into them off the drive and ricocheting into other fairways and walkways. 

You can't hit them yet, but it is a subject of debate... *evil grin*

.... "You can't hit them yet..."

Peace

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 4:18 PM
    There are actually several of them around the course.
  • JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 5:50 PM

here's the one on #5 for those interested

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Tue, Mar 16 2010 1:08 PM

I think that VEM (aka the BEAST) took a dookie and just left it there.

I made a picture I was just about to post up early today when I found this thread:

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, Mar 16 2010 4:00 PM

They are ancient boundary markers (not yardage markers as first thought).  The markers are older than the course I believe.  Check out Snaike's post above for the rest of the explanation.

RSS