Forums

Help › Forums

Open Challenge to all

Thu, Feb 25 2010 4:02 PM (32 replies)
  • Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:27 AM

I just received an e-mail from WGT saying I could be the first to find out when St. Andrews would be open for stroke play if I opened a Facebook account with them, hinting that it's just around the corner. IMO: allow me to start a nasty rumor right here, in that Monday starts a new week AND a new month, and that would be a perfect time to open a new course. HMMMM....

My challenge to all, but especially to the Master tier players, is to report your FIRST 9-hole score on the Old Course on the forums. Don't quit on me, and it doens't have to be a ranked round. I'm sure the better players practice courses dozens of times before indulging in ranked rounds.

But my challenge is mainly to install a sense of belief to those who doubt the true Masters (and I don't count myself in that league; the leaderboards don't lie. I consider myself a Master tier player in name ONLY). I have read a lot of threads about the possibilities of cheating, installing helpful software and whatnot, and it's just not true. I have also read a lot of threads of how far hard work will get you, so I'm not really talking to you guys.

My challenge is, in part, to open the eyes of the nonbelievers, in that there is INDEED a learning curve that ALL players must go through, even the Masters on new courses. These players did not get averages in the 50's just by playing a few times per week; you see the number of ranked rounds they have put in, and yes, they have the high-end equipment (both computer and clubs), but their course management is something to be copied, and that's what gets them to where they are. A decent index finger helps too (I'm starting my Christmas list with that).

So post your first scores, and let's see how you did. I'm as anxious as the rest of you, and I join quite a few of you in saying that the Old Course is one of my all-time favorites. So as they say in the telethons, I will if you will.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:37 AM

I predict my first 9 hole round at the Old Course will be between 1-4 strokes over par.   :)

But don't be too surprised to see some really good scores put up, even right when it comes out.   It's not like this is a new course for most people who've played different golf games, so that will probably help the learning curve quite a bit.

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:40 AM

I predict I will shoot what I did the first time I played Bethpage: 82. Yes, for 9 holes.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:48 AM

MS Links had a very good rendition of the course and it was used a lot on the various tours. Marioh's right about knowing the course but I'd be willing to bet it plays more real here than in the other games. Huge hint to score well-stay way away from those insane bunkers. You see one in the CTTH and that one's easy to get out of. Don't be deceived.

I'll probably hack my way to 3 or 4 over 1st time.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:50 AM

Very true.

Plus, we already have a sneak peek at the course with it's release previously as a CTTH course, which will also help with scoring, IMO.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 8:04 AM
    i think people will under estimate how hard st andrews is going to be. on a calm day it can play a bit timid, but then again you get days like that once or twice a year. 30 to 40mph side wind off the north sea now thats more like it. avoid the burns the bunkers that you have to come out backwards from and the rough that grabs your club and of course the out of bounds and did i mention the slick hard to read greens. sandbaggers stay well clear cos it will murder your average. they have just lengthened the17th the road hole by 35 yards now 490 and its still a par 4 mmmmm. but we will have to wait for the back nine, but then again the front nine is the easy nine. well lets see.
  • imcoola
    228 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 8:23 AM
    I'd be happy If I'd hit a 45 but proud of myself if I'd manage to stay at even. Although I don't think that it's quite possible for me. Once the wind comes with 40 mph in my face I won't be able to reach the green until my shot limit is expected. lol regards
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 9:18 AM

I intend to do the usual, that being, posting all of my scores. My goal is to break 40 in my first tour of the Old Course, but not knowing what to expect I may find myself trying to break 50. Whatever the outcome, I really look forward to finding out.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 10:20 AM

Gonna go with, sub 30's for most the top players.  St Andrews is on the shorter side, and a par 35 i believe.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2010 10:51 AM

Watch this clip for my prediction ---

RSS