Forums

Help › Forums

Question on Balls

Sat, Jun 26 2010 3:03 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • GLADSTONESCREWER
    749 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 8:05 AM

When you buy a ball that gives you extra distance is it exttra distance per club or just the Driver, the reason i am asking is i might be tempted to try them out for that bit of extra yardage from off the tee but am a little worried if my irons are gonna play longer i would have to start learning again....... Screwer.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 8:06 AM

They apply across the board and they will affect your club distances.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 8:14 AM

Yeah, you'll have to re-learn all your distances, which is why switching from normal-distance balls to extra-distance balls (say, GI-D) to ultra-distance balls (say, GI-SD) and back can be problematic & confusing. However, I'd definitely recommend switching to extra-distance or ultra-distance balls; on some holes, they can make all the difference between a par and a birdie (or even a birdie and an eagle, like on Bethpage 13 and the other par 5s).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 10:37 AM

I agree with Faterson on the SD thing because it's worth relearning your distances for the benefit. Meter speed aside, the affect of the ball isn't much more than a few yards but the characteristics of the flight change favorably when you deal with carry and rollout. The ball will drive better to that club rated distance instead of rolling up to it and spin becomes really effective. Just hitting a few sleeves won't work as well as committing to them. JMO

• GLADSTONESCREWER
    749 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 12:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys, now if i had say 110yds to the pin level ground and no wind i would use my PW 110 yds.......but if i take the new extra distance balls would i have to lay off a little, like maybe 108yds, i probably will try em out which will be better but i am just trying to work out in my head, once again thanks for the info even if i do sound a bit stupid.

Screwer.....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 1:01 PM

Not stupid at all there G. Before you back off try full back spin. Your PW might go 112 and back up 6 ft. Likewise for pushing your club to the limit. Same club with topspin might go 114. Those SD balls let you tinker with the action after landing. Your Satin wedges will become your favorite clubs.   :-)

• GLADSTONESCREWER
    749 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 3:24 AM

Thanks very much Yankee & Faterson for your input now i understand better before i try these balls out......... Gladstone

• ClarkeBosun
    150 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 8:01 AM

Nice one for bringing that  up Gladstone. Have been wondering about that issue for a while.

I've been using the GI-S balls for a few weeks now, for the benefit of the slower meter speed (getting old now lol) - does the GI-SD give a slower meter too? I'm supposing it wouldn't, given the distance advantage, but just wanted to check, if anyone can enlighten me...?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 8:06 AM

ClarkeBosun:
    does the GI-SD give a slower meter too?

Yes. All GI balls slow down the meter.

Note that there are now also GI2-S and GI2-D balls that slow down the meter even more. See this overview of all ball types.

I would recommend GI-SD balls. Although they don't slow the meter down as much as GI2-S or GI2-D, they give you more distance and more spin.

• ClarkeBosun
    150 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 8:15 AM

Ah, I see. looks like it could be time to get the GI-SD and re-learn my distances then.

Cheers for the info Faterson ;-)

• PAGES
RSS