Forums

Help › Forums

My Top 4 courses for WGT

Fri, Nov 26 2010 1:50 PM (60 replies)
  • oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 8:17 PM

SweetiePie:

It is interesting to me that each time one of these "which courses?" questions comes around there is never mention of any of the approx. 120 golf courses located in the Coachella Valley of Southern Cal...better known as 'Palm Springs'. There are some tracks there that go beyond spectacular.

When it comes to a place like palm springs, it is true that good golf courses are very great in number, however it seems to be more quantity over quality in a place like this. I don't believe there is any Palm Springs course in the top 100 in the world, and I think there are very few in the top 100 in America as well.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 8:22 PM

danohi50:

holy cow Oppy! I went to this website and couldn't believe my eyes!

And then to top it off, its designed by my favorite living architect, Tom Doaks

This is my number 1 pic for a WGT course now!

http://www.capekidnappers.com/

Wow, I am surprised a such a big Doak fan wouldn't know Cape Kidnappers, you know I am also a big Doak fan. I think he makes a much bigger effort than other designers to make a course blend in with its natural surroundings. His courses don't really look forced, like some of, say, Dye's layouts. He is able to utilize many of the unique nuances of the land he is given because he doesn't use the "rape, shape, and grass" method I think he calls it.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 10:50 PM

Ive been out of the design loop for a number of years..I.I. I havent been keeping up with much of anything.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 6:17 PM

oppy:
    When it comes to a place like palm springs, it is true that good golf courses are very great in number, however it seems to be more quantity over quality in a place like this. I don't believe there is any Palm Springs course in the top 100 in the world, and I think there are very few in the top 100 in America as well.

Point well taken. Being in the desert, with water added, the only things that grow there are the things that are planted there.

With the development of exotic seeds for fairways and rough along with the green seed available today, the condition of most all of the venues is without peer.

There are many courses of note and fame, by virtue of "The Hope" and the "Skins Game".

However, beyond that, Ironwood, Bighorn and, perhaps, Vintage Club offer more than the very best enjoy dealing with. Coupled with perfect weather from Oct to April, it is, again, without peer.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Feb 18 2010 12:07 PM

oppy, check out sebonack in the hamptons, its a nicklaus/doak masterpiece.  their website has some really nice course photos.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:39 PM

Yeah, I know the course, I haven't played it, but I know it. It looks like and is supposed to be a great course. But I think WGT could do a little better still. 

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Feb 19 2010 6:33 AM

Not many have played it, its uber private, $650K to join.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:22 PM

Heck, ill be happy when they get St Andrews done..It will be fun speculating which course they bring to the fold next..Hopefully its one that TW isnt using. The list is endless.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Feb 19 2010 2:40 PM

danohi50:
    Heck, ill be happy when they get St Andrews done..

Ditto on that one danohi! I get so excited just thinking about a 9-hole unlimited stroke play scene. Can't wait...but will...and must...

• JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Fri, Feb 19 2010 7:10 PM

CapeKidnappers...wild lookin stuff...sorry about the late post...just checked it out

bring about 3 dozen balls...you might come home with a couple

enjoy

RSS