Help › Forums

BLOW UP HOLE!

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 5 2010 11:01 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 7:07 AM

When I cant see my avatar, I usually change the aim by going into reverse view mode, or simply just move it on the little map on the right.  I understand your frustration, and while playing the safe route is the way to go, much like the mulch shot, there are "black hole" lies that are impossible to get out of.  I have tried "punch" for a few of these, and while I was not able to get back to ideal places I have got to a better lie.

Such as in real golf, you are not always able to advance the ball to where you want to.  And there is that "unplayable" rule you can use, but in my opinion that is a BS rule because its a an easy way to get yourself out of some serious trouble.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 7:34 AM

I just went to practice mode, and tried to hit out of everything on #13, from under the trees, to further right, to the longer dried grass area, every time I was able to advance the ball using my sandwedge as full shot, but not once was a able to get back to the fairway except when just under the tree and only a few yards away.  So your problem seems you might have found a "black hole" error (like the mulch on Kiawah), or you need to club way down and be happy with 20 ft of advancement.

• kissfanpdx
    84 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:10 PM

As in real golf, we all too often try to make up for bads shot which times causes  more missfourtune.  What has helped me in those situations is to realize.....birdie is no longer a factor, save my par,..take out a wedge or nine iron, just to put it back into play. A good example of this , is the first hole on bethpage Ive seen so many people  shove their tee shot,  to the right laying in the spinich and still try to finess a three iron to the green, cause they HAVE to have a birdie putt, well its just not going to happen, chip it into the fairway, try to get your ball in good putting distance, with the chance of a par, or at worse bogy,.  A bogey is still much better than a 10.  Its all about club selection, ball striking, and course management .  

• Villun
    20 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:45 AM

kissfanpdx:

As in real golf, we all too often try to make up for bads shot which times causes  more missfourtune.  What has helped me in those situations is to realize.....birdie is no longer a factor, save my par,..take out a wedge or nine iron, just to put it back into play. A good example of this , is the first hole on bethpage Ive seen so many people  shove their tee shot,  to the right laying in the spinich and still try to finess a three iron to the green, cause they HAVE to have a birdie putt, well its just not going to happen, chip it into the fairway, try to get your ball in good putting distance, with the chance of a par, or at worse bogy,.  A bogey is still much better than a 10.  Its all about club selection, ball striking, and course management .  

Not the case HERE Kissfan.  I was ONLY trying to "get back in decent play" with EACH hit.  Thanks for the advice though -- you ARE correct.

• kissfanpdx
    84 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 6:47 AM

sorry if i missread that, wasnt trying to patronize you,  sounds like it was a bug then, all you can do at the time is report it, which you know that too.  So basically you are doing some virtual club throwing right now....gotcha

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:00 AM

One clear message.  BECOME ACQUAINTED WITH THE PUNCH SHOT.

In most cases it frees you from tough lies - occasionally with Almost the same yardage as a full swing - but more often with less (due to the low "fly" and bounce and roll characteristics of the PUNCH -  this can vary depending on terrain) - but at least you are out of the mess.

Occasionally (NOTE:  not often) even PUNCHes will flub in heavier rough - but a second try gets you out.  Far better than 4 or 5 wasted strokes.

Using the PUNCH at the right time will often save your par (or even a BIRDIE on rarer occasions).

Thanks,  AtlantaCoaster

• Villun
    20 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2010 10:12 AM

AtlantaCoaster:

One clear message.  BECOME ACQUAINTED WITH THE PUNCH SHOT.

In most cases it frees you from tough lies...

Thanks,  AtlantaCoaster

GOTCHA!  Tried it and it DOES work -- Thank you VERY much.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2010 11:01 AM

Villun:

Thanks guys -- Fact is I DID try to play it "smarter" -- tried to change the aim and change clubs and options... The problem I was having is that I could NOT see my lie or my avatar so I had no idea where I was hitting...  In retrospect, my error was not trying to look at my lie from "reverse" angle (I THINK that is an option?).  I do appreciate the advice.

Villun, I have had this situation a couple of times. I go to the small hole overview at the lower right and move the aiming triangle there to where I need to hit the ball. 

Such as, Kiawah #2. Hit in the sand off the tee and have to play short of the ditch? Use the overview to place the triangle because you can't see it from the reverse or zoom.

Hope this will help you or someone else.

• PAGES
RSS