Help › Forums

BLOW UP HOLE!

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 5 2010 11:01 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Villun
    20 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 8:22 AM

Not too pleased with WGT every so often... I realize - just as with REAL golf - a BAD shot can screw up a hole, by putting you in a bad position - however, I took an "11" on the par 5 #13 at BPB in the 100cr Multi Round tourney today.  NOT TOO HAPPY.  Most of the SHOTS were a result of slicing near the trees on my drive.  BEFORE you say - "don't slice into the trees" - (which I fully understand was MY MISTAKE) - I couldn't see my ball, at address on the subsequent shots, or even where I was aiming.  In REAL GOLF - the rules would have allowed me to take a penalty and MOVE the ball - instead of trying to wack it out of the JUNGLE I was in - OVER 4 times and when I DID finally get it out, I hit sand twice - and thus causing me to go 6 over par for ONE HOLE IN A PAID FOR TOURNEY!!!  I actually finished +5 for the round - and THAT was in spite of playing the last few holes in a pissed off mood.  I've had "similar" experiences on one of Kiawah's par 5's - (is it #12?) when I sliced my approach into the bark mulch to the right of the green.  Ate up 5 or 6 shots trying to get out of there.  I STILL enjoy the game - BUT do NOT appreciate when there are UNREASONABLE "penalties" for ONE errant shot. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 8:44 AM

Villun-When you were trying to get out did you move the aimer? I ask because I've learned having the right club setup goes for naught if you don't aim correctly. It might take aiming right angle to the target line to get back in the fairway. If you leave the default aim in place, like I do when I get pissed and start whacking away, a lot of times there's non-fwy on that line and the short shot (because of the lie) doesn't get there. This is particularly true from places like where you were. Just guessing here, man-so been there.  :)

• TEESHOT4
    17 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 9:52 AM

How about when you are in a bad spot trying to get out  and  the swing meter "skips" causing even more  headache and strokes.The  meter  may and  in many cases cause you to lose  a match and it  WASN:T even a bad paly on your  part.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 10:52 AM

Villun- Sorry to hear of the misfortune. When I hit into serious trouble, I take my medicine and then truly focus upon what is safe, smart and doable. As YJ wisely points out, the aimer must be attended to first along with an intention to not allow for any possibility that will further compound the situation. Usually, a well directed aim at a safe landing area in conjunction with a punch SW up to the 3 wood will provide for a fairway shot that allows the option for a par or, on the 5 par you speak of, a birdie.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 12:27 PM

Good points SP and YJ. 

The reason we have problems with shots like these is because we don't get to practice them much.  So we panic, and in single play tournaments we don't get a second chance.  When I get in situations like that, I take a second and think about the situation and what my options are.  Usually, I'm not interested in the green anymore...I just want the ball back in play and I don't want to compound my mistake.  I may use a shorter club, sometimes with less power, and could aim 45 or even a 90 degrees from the hole.  Regardless, my thinking is at least a good miss will get me closer to the short stuff instead of staying in the junk.   

Joey

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 1:11 PM

Sometimes the easiest path out of the trees is the way you came in. More than once, the smart play was to just punch it backwards and get a better look.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 4:26 PM

Joeyola:

Good points SP and YJ. 

The reason we have problems with shots like these is because we don't get to practice them much.  So we panic, and in single play tournaments we don't get a second chance.  When I get in situations like that, I take a second and think about the situation and what my options are.  Usually, I'm not interested in the green anymore...I just want the ball back in play and I don't want to compound my mistake.  I may use a shorter club, sometimes with less power, and could aim 45 or even a 90 degrees from the hole.  Regardless, my thinking is at least a good miss will get me closer to the short stuff instead of staying in the junk.   

Joey

Very good advice there. With the new camera views this is an easier task. Being able to step back and look around will help.  Many times I've taken my licks, and dropped down to my lowest wedge, just to get my ball back to a playable position.  One just has to remember to use all the tools we are given.

Remember.....Work smarter.....Not harder......

• Villun
    20 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 4:53 PM

Tks sweetie pie -- I DID try to change the aim -- the avatar was NOT in view, no matter what I did to move... 

• Villun
    20 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 4:57 PM

Thanks guys -- Fact is I DID try to play it "smarter" -- tried to change the aim and change clubs and options... The problem I was having is that I could NOT see my lie or my avatar so I had no idea where I was hitting...  In retrospect, my error was not trying to look at my lie from "reverse" angle (I THINK that is an option?).  I do appreciate the advice.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:55 AM

It's rare, but I suspect this happens to all of us if we play the game long enough.  In reality, we don't need an Avatar.  And through the green, we really don't need to see the ball (to hit it) as long as we have an aiming point.  Both are visual aids to enhance our experience by human interface.  And like you already discovered, we can view aiming points by other means such as reverse angles and course diagrams...and we can move the aim point from either.  When you get into situations like this, take a deep breath, check the lie, distance and wind, adjust your aim, select the spin, pick the club, let it rip and cross your fingers.  

Joey 

• PAGES
RSS