Forums

Help › Forums

Whistling Straights.

Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:56 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • algomajoker
    5 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 10:42 AM

Arguably the most beautiful course in the country.  Other courses are in fantastic locations, at fantistic resorts, but Whistling Straights is a golf course.  Straight across Lake Michigan is a course called Arcadia Bluffs.  If you ever get a chance, go there.  Breathtaking.  

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:47 PM

I personally am the not that big a fan of Pete Dye as others. Frankly, his courses look terribly artificial, and he really makes no effort to use pre-existing nuances of the land. He gets there, and he completely bulldozes through what was there. And then just molds all of the land to his liking, which gives his courses an unnatural look to them.

• RoscoeLaw
    1 Posts
    Tue, Mar 23 2010 4:55 AM

Whistling Straits has my vote.  Looking forward to it showing up here.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:18 AM

Pete Dye has two sides to his courses, some look as Oppy says artifical and others look natural.  Harbour Town looks totally natural, the railroad ties are about the only thing that isn't native.  The Ocean Course does as well.  However the TPC looks very artifical on the holes you see the most.  I have not seen Whistling Straits but I believe it makes great use of the land from what I have heard.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Mar 23 2010 7:06 PM

With no historic feedback to grade the 18 hole course located at the intersection of Frank Sinatra drive at Bob Hope drive in beautiful Rancho Mirage, Ca (Palm Springs) one must wonder about it. It is on the residence of Walter Annenberg, the jew who invented TV Guide and was an Ambasader to somewhere...can't remember...he is dead...but the course is there. Go to google maps and check it out...the building you will see is not the clubhouse but the Annenberg residence.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Mar 23 2010 9:20 PM

OH (;>))

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 6:36 PM

SweetiePie:
    It is on the residence of Walter Annenberg, the jew who invented TV Guide

Off-topic for just a moment,

It doesn't matter to most, but could you be more racially sensitive in the forums?

I find that statement borderline offensive, and so could some other members as well.

Thank you.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 6:43 PM

SweetiePie:

Agreed, I would appreciate it, as well, if you would change your tone on that subject matter

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:52 PM

oppy:

SweetiePie:

Agreed, I would appreciate it, as well, if you would change your tone on that subject matter

What? I am Irish..Al Sharpton is african..Sean Connery is a Scot..Louis XVI was French...And Mr. Annenberg was a jew. If there is a tone of timid stupidity it comes not from me. Change you.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 8:06 PM

Ah, finally a thread where a linguist may relevantly contribute.  

There are two points to note: one of spelling and one of usage.

The spelling note is that the word is spelled Jew, not jew.

The usage note is (quoting from The American Heritage Dictionary):

The American Heritage Dictionary:
    Some people [...] have become so wary [...] that they have extended the stigma to any use of Jew as a noun, a practice that carries risks of its own. In a sentence such as There are now several Jews on the council, which is unobjectionable, the substitution of a circumlocution like Jewish people or persons of Jewish background may in itself cause offense for seeming to imply that Jew has a negative connotation when used as a noun.

From which it follows that, political correctness may sometimes inadvertently be every bit as offensive as the offence it tries to prevent!  

• PAGES
RSS