Help › Forums

mulch again

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 28 2010 11:34 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • haji97071
    192 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:04 PM

playing ready-go kiawah full 18, 7th hole in 20-25% rough with 50 yards to go, played the 50 yard wedge figuring on some roll, wind in my face 10 mph.  hit the shot and the ball flew over the green, distance covered 70 yards.  impossible!.  ended up in the mulch behind the green.  finally able to get out after 4 tries with a three wood hit full power.  PLEASE FIX THIS GLITCH, THIS COSTS ME MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT DOES NOT SEEM THIS WOULD BE A BIG PROBLEM FOR YOUR PEOPLE, THEY CAN DESIGN WHOLE GOLF COURSES, JUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE MULCH PLEASE.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 2:24 PM

SweetiePie's in charge of mulch lessons.

If you happen to be using a mouse with a wheel be careful-I've done this a couple of times. You accidentally jar it and change the club selection without knowing it, like when releasing the backswing.  You may have hit your next club up without knowing it.

• haji97071
    192 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 3:43 PM

i appreciate your response, however the reason i said mulch again is that i have been there before, have used full shot, pitch, flop, everything from lob wedge to 3 iron, nothing moves the ball, at someones suggestion i tried hitting back up the fairway with a 3 wood and at least got out of the mulch, however i ended up over 100 back down the fairway, everything else that i have attempted did not move the ball 1 inch.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 4:42 PM

http://wgt.com/forums/p/5958/36414.aspx#36414

"mulch" in the search box over there------------------->

Wasn't kidding about SweetiePie either. Quote from her in another thread a while ago.....

"I just completed a quick practice session at Kiawah purposely hitting the ball into the mulch on holes #3, #6 and #7. In each case I used a PUNCH HYBRID at about 50% power and got successfully OUT OF THE MULCH, in one shot, in each instance. This is contrary to the incorrect statement of poor advise offered by coolswing."

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 4:58 PM

Yep its true punch shot is the key here

gg chipp

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 7:28 PM

Mulch is a little tricky, but not impossible. Check THIS out.

• luigi692
    26 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 3:56 AM

Like real golf, when you are in deep trouble (mulch, deep 70% rough, weeds, etc.) you can't expect to get out with a long iron or a wood. You come out with a PW or a 9 iron, swallow the pill and try to forget.

With a 60°W you lose about 1/3 of the normal distance

• haji97071
    192 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:42 PM

i understand the other lies like deep rough, mulch is another problem, when you try to hit the shot, the player swings, but the ball goes nowhere.  have taken up to 6 shots with the ball still sitting there, have tried wedges, mid irons and finally can occasionaly can get out with punched fairway wood.  this is a glitch that WGT should fix, i would love to be able to play a shot back to the fairway, but the ball just sits there.  no relief.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 7:52 PM

USE THE PUNCH SHOT FULL POWER ANY CLUB UP TO A 3WOOD

gees chippy

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 8:58 PM

haji...how far is your shots from the mulch? Let's say you have a 124 yard shot to the pin. All you have to do is take aim, compensate for the wind, and hit the ball with about 8 to 12 % more power than you would from the fairway. Use the club the caddy provides. It's crucial you ding the shot or else the deviation is ridiculous. Hitting from the mulch is a precision shot and the degree of difficulty is high, but it can be done.

When hitting out of surfaces other than the fairway, use more power on the club to get the ball airborne. Apply spin as needed.  

The other members offer great insight on this topic as well.

Play well.

• PAGES
RSS