Forums

Help › Forums

Penalty for quitting round

Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:57 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • opiedrake
    1 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2010 3:10 PM
    I have tried to play 6 rounds today and all but 1 person quit when either they fell behind or they hit a bad shot. There should be at least a 5 point avg penalty for quitting a round in the middle. If you don't have time to finish a round, don't start one. I think most of these people are just trying to pad their averages.If WGT gave them incentive not to quit, there would be a much higher quality of play on the course.
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2010 9:49 PM

opiedrake, I agree with you that some kind of a sanction is necessary. There are hundreds of other threads about quitters in these forums; you can just use the Search box to the right to locate them.

WGT has come up with a good solution for the issue: reputation tracking. However, it was not implemented correctly back in December; hopefully they'll get it right next time. In the meantime, you can join the Ladders site where quitting isn't tolerated.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2010 11:06 PM

Sad fact is that reputation tracking will have almost zero effect on people quitting matches. There will always be players that don't want to lose, or don't want to eat a big number( or a really good score, in the case of sandbaggers). I don't see WGT stopping payouts for tournaments in the future ,so there will always be players that  try for a low avg or sandbag to keep in a lower tier. And if those players quit for whatever reason now, some other number isn't going to deter them from continuing to do so.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2010 11:23 PM

Jeff, that's not the point. There'll always be quitters, but we will be able to avoid them, because their reputation tracking (provided it is calculated correctly) will warn us not to join any rounds with frequent quitters. That is all that is needed to resolve this issue; the quitters can just play among themselves to "get the taste of their own medicine".  

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 8:19 AM

HERE IS THE POINT, who cares who plays who quits it's just a stupid game. quit taking this quitting thing so serious. find some people to play with who don't quit it's not that hard. thx JB

• Possmguts
    30 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:07 AM

jbenny11:

HERE IS THE POINT, who cares who plays who quits it's just a stupid game. quit taking this quitting thing so serious. find some people to play with who don't quit it's not that hard. thx JB

It is annoying when players drop out, but there are some people who take this "game" a bit to seriously.

There are flaws to this game that affect  scores and averages to the point of inconsistently.

I'll take some bad shots and not quit, BUT how many of you have landed in the sand around 20 yards from the hole and ended up having to take 2 or 3 swings at it, to just get out, only to end up 2 or 3 over on that hole. Not to mention all the birdies you've just made flew the coupe, when other times it comes right out with the same club and effort and away you go?

I will flat out drop that game when that happens.

This is just a game that is meant to suffice our fantasy life, because no one here could ever hit the low scores in real life that I see on this "game". It is supposed to make us feel good about something that we know we could never be at in first place at the end of a hard days work.

Tournaments and regular play are 2 different things.
    YES, you SHOULD be punished for quitting a tournament.

Nuff said....

• ozzy5558
    7 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:20 AM
    The point is do you know why they quit? I will play the whole round and if my score is bad because of the way i played thats fine but when the score is high because of all the glitches in the game (meter messes up, ball goes straight left or right off of putter when it was hit perfect) then i wont putt out on last hole i think lots of people quit because of a bad shot they hit which isn`t right but how many people quit after the meter screws them
  • TarheelsRule
    5,482 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:35 AM

Everyone is subject to the same meter jumps, beast hits, etc. so it is no excuse to say that I quit because my meter was jumping.  I rarely play stroke play with a group now because so many quit, it is less of a problem in match play.  It is more annoying if they do not forfeit and you have to wait for it until you can play again.  I would agree with whatever punishment WGT wants to use because I don't quit my matches.

• ozzy5558
    7 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:48 AM
    iI never play stroke play anymore play match play now i have less meter glitches and so forth there but you have to admit its so annoying when you get to 8 or 9 2 or 3 under and you drop one in the water because of the meter thats why i play match play it`s only one hole not numerous strokes
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 3:26 PM

The easiest answer is to force a player to finish the dropped round before allowing them to play anything else. Why this is already a feature is beyond me, but it would correct the situation very quickly.

• PAGES
RSS