Help › Forums

Putting Percentages

Thu, Jul 12 2018 10:04 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 7:07 PM

Lashe:

Interesting info here.  I have one question though.  If I miss a putt from say 11' and roll it 1-3' past, then wouldn't my next putt fall into the 0-5' range and then count as a completed putt (assuming I make it)?  Or in the theory's presented here is only the original putt, and not follow ups, factored into the percentages? 

Just curious.

Lashe

*edit:  Doh!  Sorry, re-read thread after posting and see that it is just original putt.  Pay no attention to the idiot passing thru.  :)

Double doh! No, the 11 footer counts only as "a putt." For that green, your stat is 0-5 feet: 50 percent. (half of all your putts was a successful putt b/t 0-5 feet.)

• Faz2000
    93 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 10:04 PM

LeonDelBosque:

Double doh! No, the 11 footer counts only as "a putt." For that green, your stat is 0-5 feet: 50 percent. (half of all your putts was a successful putt b/t 0-5 feet.)

I think the concept of % doesn't really apply on one hole or course because of how it's calculated and presented. 

In this scenario:

- the missed 11 footer is "Total Putts +1", a raw number/running total

- the made 3 footer on the way back is +1 for "Putts Made from 0 - 5" which is only expressed as a % of Total Putts

- obviously the made 3 footer is also "Total Putts +1"

- presumably in the scenario it's also +1 for "Two Putts" which is only expressed as a % of completed holes

They really made some strange design decisions on which stats to record and publish, because you would think golfers would be more interested in "what percentage of putts do I make from distance XXXX" than "what percentage the putts I ever take go in from distance XXXX".

So for me, story is pretty clear. I'm an "OK" putter who has way too many tap-ins to ever win a tournament!

% Putts
    % Putts Made from 0 - 5 Feet 45.06% 4,381
    % Putts Made from 5 - 10 Feet 11.68% 1,136
    % Putts Made from 10 -25 Feet 7.21% 701
    % Putts Made from 25 - 50 Feet 0.76% 74
    % Putts Made from 50+ Feet 0.07% 7
    Total Putts 9,723 6,299   Total Made

64.78%   Total % Made
  • PAGES
RSS