Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Percentages

Thu, Jul 12 2018 10:04 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 3:46 AM

I have a question in regards to the 0-5ft, 5-10ft, etc distance putts.  I realize that it is based on your first putt, but the numbers doesn't quite jive with me anyway, since I have been taking notes lately.  How are the values tabulated to accurately represent the total putts made etc at the given distances.

Secondly, I realize that this has been asked before. It would be nice to save the scorecard with all the data for the round in a txt file.  Since, I'm a stats nut.

• tezzastheman
    1,114 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 3:55 AM

i know what your talking about. My stats percentage for putts between 0-5 feet is 44%. In reality it would be more like 80%

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:39 AM

It doesn't mean that you make 44% of the putts between 0-5'.  It means of your total putts, 44% were 0-5' putts.

However, what is a little baffling is how my total putts equal under 70%.

0-5 : 45.89%

5-10 : 10.80%

10-25 : 6.06%

25-50 : 0.79%

50+ : 0.01%

Shouldn't those numbers add up to 100%?

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 5:01 AM

JaLaBar:
    t doesn't mean that you make 44% of the putts between 0-5'.  It means of your total putts, 44% were 0-5' putts.

That makes sense, thanks for the info. However, it would be nice to know what percentage of the 0-5ft, etc were made

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 7:39 AM

JaLaBar:
    Shouldn't those numbers add up to 100%?

What if the missing chunk of % is missed putts?  Since all those stats say % Putts Made from N to N Feet lets assume your stat 45.89% means of all the putts you've taken, 45.89% were putts you made from inside 5 feet. 

And another 10.8% of all your putts were putts you made from 5 to 10 feet away.

Your stats and Bollox stats, for example, would compare in chart form like this:

This makes sense to me.  It still doesn't say what Infinito is looking for (the % of putts missed from 5'-10', etc.) .  However, if we want to track if we are becoming a better putter, add up all the "Putts Made From" stats and if that number is growing then we're getting better.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 1:51 PM

Very good point, Andyson, and one that I hadn't considered but I believe is likely correct.

Also note that I make a point more of my putts from 0-5 than BnB.  One could infer from that that I hit better approaches....

Nah, just kidding.  What one should infer from that is that a lot more of my putts went to the missed zone before becoming 0'-5' made putts.

Is it good or bad that I'm a little proud to only be that far behind BnB in putting?

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 3:21 PM

Yes, the weird and unhelpful thing is that the percentage given for each distance is the percentage of total putts that were successful putts from that distance.  If you add up all the percentages given that will give you your total percentage of successful putts. You have no information about the length of the putts you missed. 

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:06 PM

Right. The way it was explained to me is: 45% 0-5 feet, for example, means that 45% of ALL putts are SUCCESSFUL putts from 0-5 feet.

It's a stupid way to keep putting stats. If you have 100 putts and 10 are 5-10 feet, and you make half of them, your percentage is 5%... Or, if you have only 5 and make all of them, your percentage is also 5%. Putts per round is also useless. 

• Lashe
    824 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:34 PM

Interesting info here.  I have one question though.  If I miss a putt from say 11' and roll it 1-3' past, then wouldn't my next putt fall into the 0-5' range and then count as a completed putt (assuming I make it)?  Or in the theory's presented here is only the original putt, and not follow ups, factored into the percentages? 

Just curious.

Lashe

*edit:  Doh!  Sorry, re-read thread after posting and see that it is just original putt.  Pay no attention to the idiot passing thru.  :)

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 5:29 PM

That was my point on my comment about BnB.  A lot more of my longer putts end up as missed putts, and the follow ups end up as made 0'-5' putts, whereas BnB makes the original putt, so has a lower number of 0-5' putts.

• PAGES
RSS