Forums

Help › Forums

Showdowns?

Tue, Feb 27 2024 4:57 PM (91 replies)
  • MioKontic
    4,600 Posts
    Thu, Feb 8 2024 4:04 PM

ryry4321:
    considering some of the players should probably not be in the rookie division.

So tell us exactly why you, a Legend with a 55.69 average, and shooting -16 for 18 holes, is playing the Rookie division?

Pot and kettle!

• MMOC0528
    12 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2024 7:21 AM

For me anyway...I'm still trying to figure out what division makes sense for me.  I only started playing Showdowns in December.  Having been in a dead CC, playing majority coin games during my WGT existence, having my butt handed to me in the Tokyo room on a regular basis, and only having a 280 yd driver, I figured any tourneys are where I just lose credits for no reason.

Now I see a tourney where apparel helps even the field for me off the tee, with the only prize pool that includes golf balls (that I know of), and that maybe I'm not as mediocre as I always thought.  So I'm trying to win balls mostly, and I have to compare which division gives the best payout while also feeling like I'm not taking advantage of the lax parameters.

I'd like to win enough credits to pay for a new driver...if I can ever earn enough XP to buy a good one.  That seems all a bit out of reach for now though.

• MMOC0528
    12 Posts
    Wed, Feb 21 2024 11:42 AM

Does the brand/type of ball awarded for top 10/15 finishes in Showdowns change on a regular basis?  I know there are different prize balls depending on rookie/vet/expert level you play in, but do the offerings change within those levels regularly?  I'm trying to determine a ball to use most all the time based on which ones I can win in Showdowns and like the best.  If they change up all the time then it's a lost cause.  Anyone?  Thanks.

• SamSpayed
    4,910 Posts
    Thu, Feb 22 2024 11:12 AM

MMOC0528:
    For me anyway...I'm still trying to figure out what division makes sense for me.

You're a Legend with a 64.19 average.  Play Rookie.

• Squatch031
    175 Posts
    Thu, Feb 22 2024 11:52 AM

"For me anyway...I'm still trying to figure out what division makes sense for me.  I only started playing Showdowns in December.  Having been in a dead CC, playing majority coin games during my WGT existence, having my butt handed to me in the Tokyo room on a regular basis, and only having a 280 yd driver, I figured any tourneys are where I just lose credits for no reason.

Now I see a tourney where apparel helps even the field for me off the tee, with the only prize pool that includes golf balls (that I know of), and that maybe I'm not as mediocre as I always thought.  So I'm trying to win balls mostly, and I have to compare which division gives the best payout while also feeling like I'm not taking advantage of the lax parameters.

I'd like to win enough credits to pay for a new driver...if I can ever earn enough XP to buy a good one.  That seems all a bit out of reach for now though."

Drivers max out at 291 yards (level 102) so your driver at 280 yards isn't bad.  Besides, driving is more about accuracy as opposed to distance.  Also, if your are playing a lot of coin games, you can get apparel to increase your distance if you choose. If you are getting beat repeatedly in the coin rooms, I am not sure how you plan on earning enough credits to buy a new driver. The key to this game is wedges!

Another thing to consider is the apparel you have.  Some have apparel for everything and have level up so they may still be able to out distance you in everything. I play a lot of non-apparel tournaments as well as coin games so I use minimum apparel, only adding 12 yards to my drive.  This way it is a small adjustment when switching back and forth between apparel and non-apparel games.

I started playing in October 2022 and have made it to Legend and done pretty well.  I recently signed up for the Veteran level in a showdown tournament and was able to make it to the elimination round.  I shot -8 and finished 73rd and missed cut for final round.  I have done ok in other veteran tournaments so it depends on the field. 

• MMOC0528
    12 Posts
    Thu, Feb 22 2024 2:07 PM

Squatch031:

Drivers max out at 291 yards (level 102) so your driver at 280 yards isn't bad.  Besides, driving is more about accuracy as opposed to distance.  Also, if your are playing a lot of coin games, you can get apparel to increase your distance if you choose. If you are getting beat repeatedly in the coin rooms, I am not sure how you plan on earning enough credits to buy a new driver. The key to this game is wedges!

Another thing to consider is the apparel you have.  Some have apparel for everything and have level up so they may still be able to out distance you in everything. I play a lot of non-apparel tournaments as well as coin games so I use minimum apparel, only adding 12 yards to my drive.  This way it is a small adjustment when switching back and forth between apparel and non-apparel games.

I started playing in October 2022 and have made it to Legend and done pretty well.  I recently signed up for the Veteran level in a showdown tournament and was able to make it to the elimination round.  I shot -8 and finished 73rd and missed cut for final round.  I have done ok in other veteran tournaments so it depends on the field. 

I'm choosing the Max apparel set bonus for the XPs, over the SE club distance (for now anyway), only using mid-range balls that I can win.  So I get out-distanced and beat in Tokyo, but do very well in Rio.  I'm going to watch videos for credits, but it will be another 8-9 months before I reach lvl 96 for the Callaway driver, and who knows how long before I can max out on apparel (only to be of use in Showdowns).  Once I get the XPs for the driver I can switch to more SE apparel, maxing at some distant point.  So for now I need to grind along before I can get all of the things I need to be competitive off the deep tees.

Also - my posts are delayed for modding so they show up late (wish I knew how long this will happen).  I'm still wondering about the prize balls from Showdowns...would appreciate any info in regard to my other post above that showed up late.

• Squatch031
    175 Posts
    Fri, Feb 23 2024 8:01 AM

Based on my experience, mostly at the Rookie level in Showdowns, WGT seems to lean towards the Taylor Made balls but I haven't paid a lot of attention since I don't use their balls..  I currently have 8 TPX level 47 and 48 balls. As mentioned, I don't use them and only play the Showdowns as a challenge to get to the final round and see how I do.  As mentioned before, I also don't really use the apparel packages.  That said, it appears that you are limiting yourself to equipment you are able to purchase with winnings.  That is fine if you are limited financially but keep in mind that you will only be able to achieve a certain level of play by limiting yourself on equipment.  I looked at your profile and you have some good equipment so it appears you can afford better balls.  If sticking with what you can win, you are just going to have to practice until you master the game with the balls you have.

• Imahacker58
    366 Posts
    Fri, Feb 23 2024 10:56 PM

Send an email to customer support requesting to be taken off moderation, that’s what I did some years ago and it took a few days but moderation was lifted. 

• MioKontic
    4,600 Posts
    Sat, Feb 24 2024 11:08 AM

MMOC0528:
    I'm still wondering about the prize balls from Showdowns

In rookie you will win the level 47 TM balls (they don't change), in veteran you will win the level 40 Titleist balls (again, they don't change), and for the Royale Showdowns you will the level 0 Bridgestone balls (again, they don't change).

• AnaNikolaj
    635 Posts
    Sun, Feb 25 2024 4:03 PM

MioKontic:

MMOC0528:
    I'm still wondering about the prize balls from Showdowns

In rookie you will win the level 47 TM balls (they don't change), in veteran you will win the level 40 Titleist balls (again, they don't change), and for the Royale Showdowns you will the level 0 Bridgestone balls (again, they don't change).

Actually, the Royale had a variety of balls thus far, from different brands. 

RSS