Help › Forums

Bizarre chipping behavior

Fri, Dec 18 2009 4:59 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TigerMustDie
    1 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:09 AM

Whats goin' on here?

BPB #15, 30yds rough, 40% Lie. I set the strike point low on the ball.

swing meter max 50 yds. I swing 75% strength, perfect contact, ball travels 3 feet.

i don' unnserstan'.

any help?

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:15 AM

Thinking maybe you opened the club and hit the ball too high on the face???

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:38 AM

I don't believe that you can chip from that distance with any success.  I flop the ball instead of chip it from any lie over 20% unless I am hitting a full shot.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:17 PM

TigerMustDie:
    any help?

I can't help with the problem but thats a pretty cool name TMD.It looks like his wife might just fulfill that wish for you.Good luck on the help thing.Oh yeah try to pitch or flop because for me I get nowhere fast with the chip.Thats usually the result I get from a chip unless it's on the fringe.If you do the flop move the box to the left 3 or 4 feet.You'll see.

Larry

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 2:46 PM

TigerMustDie:

Whats goin' on here?

BPB #15, 30yds rough, 40% Lie. I set the strike point low on the ball.

swing meter max 50 yds. I swing 75% strength, perfect contact, ball travels 3 feet.

i don' unnserstan'.

any help?

If you chipped that is likely the reason. A chip will not clear that deep of rough. Some will pitch or flop but I use full lob wedge and try to gauge the distance based on slope of the green.

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 4:18 PM

As others have mentioned, only use chip from 30/40 rough if it;'s just on the edge, otherwise it will not move

with practice, Pitch/flop work nicely from it,

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 5:44 PM

Hi,

OK - 30 yds short - 30 / 40% rough. A flop is not gonna get you there !!  If you have a gale behind you maybe, or better clubs - yes ?? Ideally you want to land your second shot in the rough just short of the green on the left hand approach - over the left hand traps. Or layup just short of the green on that left hand side - (if you can get there with your second)  then flop it close.

So you're gonna have to go with something like a 60 Wg. Dont forget this green is way above the fairway maybe 14 - 16ft  30 yards out? So you have to do a bit of practicing there - you need a lot more power.

However heres a tip to get you started. Try 60Wg - no backspin, approx 70% power - then go from there. With all these types of shots you MUST record your outcomes and then modify your shot next time around.  Again record your shot - and again adjust next time around - and so on.

One thing you dont want to do on this hole is go over the back !! It is almost impossible to get anywhere near coming from behind the green - it has a huge downhill slope. 

Dont forget - practice makes perfect.

Good luck

Cheers Doug

• IrUSANA
    6 Posts
    Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:47 AM
    Howdy Doug, I'm fairly new to this WGT stuff, therefore, when you speal of recording your shot are you speaking of ral golf or this WGT stuff? If the WGT, how does one record the shot? Don
  • TheSmokingGnu
    1 Posts
    Thu, Dec 17 2009 11:58 AM

IrUSANA:
    Howdy Doug, I'm fairly new to this WGT stuff, therefore, when you speal of recording your shot are you speaking of ral golf or this WGT stuff? If the WGT, how does one record the shot? Don

I wanna know too. Recording would be a great help.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, Dec 17 2009 1:37 PM

TheSmokingGnu:

IrUSANA:

I wanna know too. Recording would be a great help.

I record the old fashioned way - pen and paper. I keep a small notebook by my computer.

• PAGES
RSS