Forums

Help › Forums

Players disconnecting

Sun, Nov 29 2009 1:30 PM (49 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 8:18 PM

YankeeJim:
    Huh?  You get disconnected for whatever reason and I have 60 seconds to do the same? Or what?

I explained that several times earlier. If both players disconnect within 60 seconds, no one would get penalized.

YankeeJim:
    Keep it simple and just record the disconnects.

No, no and no!!! It would be a terrible mistake if WGT did that. Don't you understand that when you're left alone on the course by everyone else, you need to be given the option to quit the game without any penalty? That people play lots of sudden-death shootouts?

There is nothing complicated whatsoever in the proposals as submitted earlier in this thread to WGT.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 8:46 PM

Faterson:
    I explained that several times earlier. If both players disconnect within 60 seconds, no one would get penalized.

The object here is to dissuade quitting.

Sudden death matches are easily dealt with by adding the same option as in match play-mutual agreement to drop the match.

Record the disconnects, make it a stat and let the facts speak for themselves (with apologies to those 1:100 innocents  that might get hosed.)

YJ

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 8:50 PM

WGTadmin2:
    however if you start a multiplayer game you need to finish it.

Does this include multiplayer practice as well?  If practice rounds are left out then Faterson's sudden death issue is almost resolved since it could be started as a practice round instead.  You would just need to enable green speed selection in multiplayer, which Faterson has requested before.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 9:16 PM

Nivlac, that isn't always the solution, because practice rounds are played from the same tees by everyone. If the 2 opponents are from unequal tiers, the lower-tiered player might object to playing from the same tees as the higher-tiered player, given that the regular match was probably played from unequal tees. There would then arise a discrepancy between the regular match and the sudden-death shootout.

Finally, let us reiterate the crucial thing: the player who gets abandoned by everyone else on the course must be allowed to quit that round without any penalty, because at that moment, it would already have been a single-player game, not a multi-player match.

Should WGT fail to take this into account when implementing the new feature, it would be a disaster, because the victims of quitters would be penalized in the same way as quitters, rendering the new feature and reputation tracking useless.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 10:13 PM

There's your answer. When only 1 is left in a match then the game would revert/become a single player game for which there is no penalty for quitting.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 10:48 PM

YankeeJim:

Sudden death matches are easily dealt with by adding the same option as in match play-mutual agreement to drop the match.

That's exactly right, Jim ...Myself, I have no real problem if someone quits...especially if they have something come up (life does tend to happen during a round). The ones who just disconnect with no word are the one's that get me. Put in the same request to drop out as match-play. Then I have the option to agree ( if they give me a reason) or to decline the request ( bad shots, etc.).

And I'm all for keeping it simple... record all the disconnects.  The stats for the real quitters will be significantly different than those quitting because they were stranded or in the occasional sudden death scenario from a ladder match or community tournament ( both of which are 3rd party events).

True, there will be some "innocents" that get little black marks for leaving a match, but it would be far from the disaster that Faterson sees.

Jeff

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 11:10 PM

I see no reason why a feature should be implemented sloppily if it can be implemented properly.    There are no complications on the users' side, and you may leave the supposed "complicated" nature of this on the software developers' side, up to WGT's software engineers to determine. If they are capable of distinguishing quitters proper from other instances where quitting a round is justified, then by all means let them implement that.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Fri, Nov 27 2009 1:13 PM

jeffdos924:

YankeeJim:

That's exactly right, Jim ...Myself, I have no real problem if someone quits...especially if they have something come up (life does tend to happen during a round). The ones who just disconnect with no word are the one's that get me. Put in the same request to drop out as match-play. Then I have the option to agree ( if they give me a reason) or to decline the request ( bad shots, etc.).

And I'm all for keeping it simple... record all the disconnects.  The stats for the real quitters will be significantly different than those quitting because they were stranded or in the occasional sudden death scenario from a ladder match or community tournament ( both of which are 3rd party events).

True, there will be some "innocents" that get little black marks for leaving a match, but it would be far from the disaster that Faterson sees.

Jeff

I use the free starter unlimited balls when I play solo rounds, but switch to purchased balls when I play multiplayer matches. If I then end up alone after disconnects I usually drop out to conserve my purchased balls. So some way needs to be found to prevent the "last man standing" so to speak, from getting tagged with the Disconnect label.

Disconnects are a real problem. I started a stroke match this morning with 3 others, lost 1 after te 2nd hole, 1 after the 4th hole and the 3rd player quit after the 5th hole. And that type of situation seems to occur almost every day.

I keep a private list and don't play a round with anyone after 2 quits.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Nov 27 2009 1:49 PM

Good discussion guys,

As far as having to put a deposit in for your multiplayer match, I don't think that would fly. This site is based on the principle that you do not have to pay if you do not want to. Some people have no WGT credits in their account. To say that they cannot play in multi would be wrong.

• mellowmanmilton
    4 Posts
    Fri, Nov 27 2009 7:30 PM

how about approaching it from another angle. rather than penalizing someone who leaves, why not award people who stay?I;m not quite sure how, but maybe get a prize for stickin git out, like 1 credit or something along those lines?

RSS