Forums

Help › Forums

Players disconnecting

Sun, Nov 29 2009 1:30 PM (49 replies)
  • mellowmanmilton
    4 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 9:32 AM

It is sooo F***ing annoying when people disconnect as soon as they have a few bad shots, surely there must be some way of receiving penalty for disconnecting without reason, like losing some average or being timed out for an hour or something like that?

I am sure there would be hundreds of people agreeing with me

many thanks

• mellowmanmilton
    4 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 12:02 PM

also the message at the end of the game is that the player who disconnected is the winner...how can this be true?!?!

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 12:55 PM

That message was supposed to be fixed.  Did you see that the disconnected player won message today?

• mellowmanmilton
    4 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 3:23 PM

yes i did...but i think that the message first reads "blah blah blah (whoever the person who disconnected was) won with such and such points" but then it goes to the next screen now where you can see who came in which order of the remaining players who finished the game. A little confusing.

What do you say about the previous message?

many thanks for getting back to me

/m

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:28 PM

Coming soon you will be able to judge for yourself if you want to start a round with someone based on their round completion rate, more details to come later.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:38 PM
    Question: Will it be retroactive? Or beginning with the present? I vote for retroactive. It'll be fun to see who all the villians are. (and anyone who votes otherwise is probably one of the villians/quitters)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 7:31 PM

Not really, Mochaman.

WGT need to make sure they implement this correctly.

For example, a perfect way to bungle this terribly is simply to count the number of disconnections, and state them in percentages. That's wrong!

If I launch a multi-player round, and all the fellow players abandon me after a few holes, as is the standard on this site (completed rounds are exceptions from the rule here), then of course I do not finish that round myself. If I am left alone on the course, then I quit as well, because it was a multi-player round I joined, not a single-player round.

WGT need to ensure that when someone is the only person prematurely left on the course in a multi-player match, then such a disconnection is not counted against the player.

Also, it might be worth counting only disconnections in multi-player games, while disconnections in single-player mode might be ignored.

Yet another potential issue is that people sometimes play sudden-death holes, in stroke-play as well, and as soon as one of the players wins the match, they both disconnect, naturally. A way should be found to ensure that such both-sided disconnections are not counted against a player's "karma". For example, let there be a 60-second time-out: if all players disconnect from a multi-player game within 60 seconds, then no lowering of karma would take place for anyone. I'm on the ladders site and have already played lots of sudden death shootouts, and it would be terrible if all these were now said to diminish my completion rate.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 8:42 PM

while disconnections in single-player mode might be ignored.

Not sure what I do in single play is anyones buisness but mine! Multi on the other hand yes it is needed. Go to the ladder site and play, not many quit there. Also, please use the search topic box, this has been going on for ever. Pages and pages of unnecessary reposts on the same subject!

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 6:12 AM

Faterson:

WGT need to make sure they implement this correctly.

For example, a perfect way to bungle this terribly is simply to count the number of disconnections, and state them in percentages.

With apologies beforehand to WGT staff for being blunt. 

For the definition of "bungle" see the first implementation of the "remove the flag" feature.

The "remove the flag" feature and this thread with Faterson's "what ifs" underscore the need for WGT to get user input on new feature operation before implementation starts.

Users tend to throw out ideas at a very high level,  "Different pin placements please!", without adding how we would like it to be implemented, "9 per green is more than enough, 3 per green is the minimum,  with a balance of easy, medium and difficult pins spread out front, middle, and rear of the greens.  And the pin placements changing either daily or weekly for scored and practice rounds and fixed for single round tournaments but different for multi-round tournaments."

How more detailed user input is obtained is up to WGT.  It just needs to be done IMO.

P.S. If detailed user input was indeed given (unbeknown to me in the background) on the initial implementation of the "remove the flag" feature then at least two of us will be red-faced.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 8:48 AM

Faterson:
    For example, a perfect way to bungle this terribly is simply to count the number of disconnections, and state them in percentages. That's wrong!

Some innocents will suffer with the guilty. It's better than what's in place now.

YJ

RSS