Help › Forums

Congrats to the Live Series Qualifiers

Fri, Feb 21 2020 3:16 PM (24 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:20 AM

kavvz:
    Seeing the same players every time.

So when watching a major golf tournament you'd be fine if it didn't include Rory et al.  Nobody was suggesting, l at least didn't mean to, it would be all the same players every time. I doubt if the broadcasters, or their sponsors, would like the top players not being there.

There seem to be two things being discussed here the format of the qualifiers and how to make the event more watched, I'll leave the latter as I've little to add.

Like most I think it'd be a better and fairer competition without restarts, four rounds single play would be great, but I think the idea of one round unlimited and one single play was in acknowledgement that wgt are not going to completely give up the ball usage.  A compromise.  Be as indignant as you like but unless you offer something to wgt they will keep things as they are.

I also wont get into a disscussion about who unlimited favours, as I'm massively outnumbered there, but I find your choice of example strange again. 

kavvz:
    Just look at the monthly premium open leaderboard.  Now possibly some haven't played it yet, but that's exciting. 

The fact that you don't know who has and who hasn't played is vital I'd say with the obvious solution that you use the last finished one. I wonder who won the credits there.

There is also the Champion tournament  one round unlimited and one round single play, if you want an interesting top 10.  Although I admit the prize money could be a factor in that.

• el3n1
    4,495 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 7:24 AM

birchi:

Miantiao:

I'd hazard a guess at saying a hundred or so players would all stand a chance in a single round format.

And like you, I'm not participating in these events with unlimited rounds, seems like an even bigger waste of time than playing this game at all already is ;)

This is what I was referring to in part.... when very good players sit out... we are simply watching the best of those who choose to grind out the rounds.

In regards to growing the game another point that was suggested... seeing new names... is actually what gives more people the impression they have a chance to compete or eventually compete among the top players.  

IF it is only the same handful of players, then just like the big payout events that only pay out the top 3 spots... people quit playing.  Wasn't it last year when WGT scaled back the payout structure.  

It is also true, the vast majority still won't be able to compete with the esport professionals or elite players who have put in thousands of hours to hone their skill... but if every event created falls into their wheel house of the top .0001% then the game and participation can suffer, and who do you think is most likely buying balls and equipment?  It isn't the .0001% they win their credits... you WANT and you NEED the 99.9999% so this game can not ignore them or leave them out feeling completely incapable of competing.  It is what leads to payouts being cut, participation dropping... etc.

None of those things are good for the game... watching players sit out or only seeing the same names, because both impacts whether new or upcoming players feel there is a chance to eventually catch up with those players.  

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 10:14 AM

el3n1:
    you WANT and you NEED the 99.9999% so this game can not ignore them or leave them out feeling completely incapable of competing.

Here is a great example of what can happen in single round format tournaments:

Legend vs Tour Champion.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 2:30 PM

DodgyPutter:

kavvz:
    Seeing the same players every time.

So when watching a major golf tournament you'd be fine if it didn't include Rory et al.  Nobody was suggesting, l at least didn't mean to, it would be all the same players every time. I doubt if the broadcasters, or their sponsors, would like the top players not being there.

Of course I am fine with that, and so are all the sponsors because Rory doesn't have unlimited chances to be there.  They all know and understand that Rory just might have an off day and not be playing on the weekend. :)  It'll happen here too.  

DodgyPutter:

Like most I think it'd be a better and fairer competition without restarts, four rounds single play would be great, but I think the idea of one round unlimited and one single play was in acknowledgement that wgt are not going to completely give up the ball usage.  A compromise.  Be as indignant as you like but unless you offer something to wgt they will keep things as they are.

One unlim and one single has to be bettter than 1 unlim so perhaps that's a good start.

DodgyPutter:

kavvz:
    Just look at the monthly premium open leaderboard.  Now possibly some haven't played it yet, but that's exciting. 

The fact that you don't know who has and who hasn't played is vital I'd say with the obvious solution that you use the last finished one. I wonder who won the credits there.

Top 3 is a little different than top 10 though.  I'm not saying that players like those 3 won't qualify anyway with single of course they will.  All I'm saying is they won't qualify every single time.  Just like Rory doesn't play every weekend, although he does play most.

DodgyPutter:

There is also the Champion tournament  one round unlimited and one round single play, if you want an interesting top 10.  Although I admit the prize money could be a factor in that.

That seems like a better indicator and maybe lends a hand to giving 1 unlim and 1 single a try.  Thanks for pointing that one out.  

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 3:16 PM

@Kavvz  On the results there may be something (different) skewing each of them.

In the premium monthly after the top 3 there are likely to be players who played early or are simply happy with a high finish, some top players will have quit when they thought 56 was out of reach. 

It does seem likely that with the prize money offered many of the top players will ignore, or not try too hard in the first round of, the champion tournament. 

I know I said I wasn't going to go on about this (sorry) but I did notice Mags was one of the very few who didn't score higher in the second (single) round. 

This post was just as I didn't want to mislead with the posted results.

RSS