Forums

Help › Forums

Legend-NOT

Tue, May 5 2020 11:19 AM (21 replies)
  • DanL24
    61 Posts
    Wed, Sep 25 2019 4:11 PM

As everybody correctly points out, the move up to Legend is brutal at first.  It's not just the length of the holes, it's not just the speed of the greens, it's the combination.  I think I played the free balls until I get to Tour Master tier and then just got some low level WGT balls and the game was pretty easy.  But at Tour Master you can still shoot a 60 on most courses with very few shots over 150 yards into a green.  All of a sudden at legend, you have a lot of 200+ yard shots to hit into greens that are even faster so it's damn near impossible to hold greens without a reasonably high spin ball.

My game at legend started to get a lot better when I improved...

1) playing the wind better both side to side but also helping/hurting

2) mastered how and when to alter spin on shots to get more precise results (as well as how changing the spin changed the influence of the wind and the distance the shot went)

3) getting better at putting, both in the making >90% of putts inside 10 feet but also holing a decent number of 20 foot putts.

On a related note, I personally learned how to better play the "ding".  I stopped trying to hit it perfectly every time and instead hit it just a smidge late each and every time.  The problem when I tried to hit the ding was there is a big difference in shot outcome in a crosswind whether you hit slightly early or slightly late.  By just realizing my "natural" shot is slightly late it minimizes the spread in outcomes if I am off by a little bit.  If I'm early and hit the ding it ends up a smidge long and left of where I expect, if I'm late it goes a smidge short and right.  But gone are the days of not being sure which way I would slightly miss and seeing a large variation in outcome if you are playing in high wind conditions.  I can still intentionally hit it a little early if a "draw" would be a better shot for a given approach.

• Connorjwebb123
    421 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2019 7:08 PM

I just ranked up to Master and I’m struggling with the tees, it’s a lot to readjust to

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Oct 6 2019 2:10 AM

Papabukk:

Boy I had a feeling this might be tough. I was really enjoying tour master (6 months) maybe, then got “promoted” to Legend during that glitch a month or so ago. Just having a hard time figuring it out now. Everything feels tougher,  not just the long tees. Can’t even get my average below 70, and that’s playing all the “easy” tourneys I can. Feeling they robbed me out of some of my childhood, lol. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Very very sincerely 

burnt out Bukky

Hang in there.  Everybody goes through it.  When I turned Legend it was horrendous and after quite awhile things started to click and got alot easier.

• carlosdev
    2,526 Posts
    Sun, Oct 6 2019 2:15 AM

Time will get you ahead. Hang on there :) :) 

- Carl 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Oct 6 2019 3:33 PM

You will get it like every tier. It just takes a Little time. It not that hard really

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Oct 6 2019 3:36 PM

You have won a lot of tournaments for someone having a hard time. Lol.

I think you have gotten it down

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Fri, Dec 20 2019 6:08 PM

Greetings to all,

I’ve never written a post before on the forums and just wanted to give my 2 cents on the matter. I agree with everyone’s comments on here about the switch. What I’ve found that has elevated my game is dedicating a sleeve or 2 to charting clubs as diligently as possible. This has been crucial to understanding which shots to choose in various situations. 

I made Legend on August 11th and realized I would never go anywhere with a great foundation of numbers. By doing this I was able to hit Tour Legend on November 23rd. It ma seem tedious and time consuming but my distance to the pin has dropped 5ft and I’ve gotten my 1-putt % over 63% in just over a month. 

These are just tips/ideas that I have found worked for me and passing them on to others that may be useful. 

-Cheers-

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Dec 21 2019 11:03 AM

TopShelf2010:

Papabukk:

Boy I had a feeling this might be tough. I was really enjoying tour master (6 months) maybe, then got “promoted” to Legend during that glitch a month or so ago. Just having a hard time figuring it out now. Everything feels tougher,  not just the long tees. Can’t even get my average below 70, and that’s playing all the “easy” tourneys I can. Feeling they robbed me out of some of my childhood, lol. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Very very sincerely 

burnt out Bukky

Considering you are playing with the Rock for a ball, I would say you are performing quite well.

As for things getting tougher once Legend status is achieved, that is the one single promotion that shocks most players. Everything changes. But not to stress too much. It is simply a matter of readjusting (relearning ) your game.

The added distance from the tee box changes your approach shot to the green. Once you get those distances reconfigured, you should start to see improvements.

If anything, even the slightest upgrade in balls could help you accomplish this quicker.

Best of Luck

Don

WGT SD Balls are .65 cents a pack

• DoctorLarry
    4,274 Posts
    Sun, Dec 22 2019 3:16 PM

Connorjwebb123:

I just ranked up to Master and I’m struggling with the tees, it’s a lot to readjust to

Just wait.

You ain't seen nothing yet!

• alosso
    21,027 Posts
    Sun, Dec 22 2019 11:22 PM

Connorjwebb123:

This is the first big move and the last call to consider custom clubs & balls.

RSS