Forums

Help › Forums

Legend-NOT

Tue, May 5 2020 11:19 AM (21 replies)
  • Papabukk
    708 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2019 12:05 AM

Boy I had a feeling this might be tough. I was really enjoying tour master (6 months) maybe, then got “promoted” to Legend during that glitch a month or so ago. Just having a hard time figuring it out now. Everything feels tougher,  not just the long tees. Can’t even get my average below 70, and that’s playing all the “easy” tourneys I can. Feeling they robbed me out of some of my childhood, lol. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Very very sincerely 

burnt out Bukky

• TopShelf2010
    10,876 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2019 11:50 AM

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2019 1:46 PM

When I was Tour Master, like you I was having fun, and won few credit tournaments. All of sudden I was promoted to Legend with way above average required to tier up, I complained and requested to be demoted back to TM, but was declined. Game got harder, I quit for 8 months, but decided to comeback and practiced more. Although I’m not as good as others, I’m glad I came back, and enjoy the game for what it is.

Congrats, and good luck with your new promotion.

• BOZskills
    387 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2019 2:12 PM

I think Don's advice well spoken. Seems like you have a nice set of sticks. Like Don said a better ball would maximize the attributes of those clubs. Also,asboth Don and Slick said just hang in there. There is an adjustment period as you basically have to re-learn the courses. Good luck.

• DoctorLarry
    4,274 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2019 4:22 PM

Papabukk:

Boy I had a feeling this might be tough. I was really enjoying tour master (6 months) maybe, then got “promoted” to Legend during that glitch a month or so ago. Just having a hard time figuring it out now. Everything feels tougher,  not just the long tees. Can’t even get my average below 70, and that’s playing all the “easy” tourneys I can. Feeling they robbed me out of some of my childhood, lol. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Very very sincerely 

burnt out Bukky

Yes - this is the single biggest transition in tiers.

Not only does the tee get longer and the greens get faster, you have to relearn a lot of shots, as noted.  In addition, there are a ton of us stuck at Legend for the foreseeable future (may forever for some of us!), so the competition gets much stiffer in tourneys.

It looks like you have the clubs you need at Legend, but I would also recommend looking into a ball with some more distance, precision, and even spin.  I know this is a budget issue for some, as well, but if you find a better ball you can afford for quite a long time, it will serve you well as you need to remap clubs, relearn shots, and practice with the ball you expect to play in the future.

Frankly, I avoided the easy tourneys since they start to lower your average without making your game better.  Since you have to play > 500 ranked rounds to advance a tier anyway, there really is no harm in playing harder tournaments to get those rounds under your belt.  You will get better as you play and the average will start to drop and it will really start to drop after you reach saturation if you are playing better.

Good luck - we are in a huge parking lot full of Legends - welcome aboard, and have fun!

• Faz2000
    93 Posts
    Tue, Sep 17 2019 4:29 PM

Can 100% support what's been said well beforehand.

TM -> Legend is a rude shock, and for a while you'll feel like a powerless Hack again.

The good news is you have excellent clubs which are certainly good enough to carry you through Legend and compete at the pointy-end of Legend tier tourneys.

You may have to spend some money on balls - but don't necessarily leap straight to the top shelf 700-whatever credit Titleists. Something like the 250 cred Callys are a great all-rounder.

Again echoing what has been said before... I would mostly steer away from the "red tee" easy tournaments. They just lull you into a false sense of security - you have to learn to deal with not being able to reach some par 4s in 2 shots, deal with greens that are like mini-golf and some howling head-, tail- and cross-winds.

And given it's a MINIMUM of 500 rounds to saturate at Legend level, you are going to be there a while even if you're the greatest player on the planet. So make peace with that, work on your game and grind away.

FWIW, I've been at Legend for approximately 18 months and 1000 rounds. I can compete (but rarely win) the free entry tourneys and occasional Ready Go. And I'm sure I'll get shunted to the back of the pack when I break through for TL in the next few (several? many?) months. You can do it. We all do. It may well end up being where I/you/we spend the vast majority of our time in this game.

At least it's a challenge! You can feel good about breaking par, then work to bogey-free rounds, improved skills at getting out of trouble, then start to find opportunities to really dial-in and chase regular birds or the odd eagle. For starters, forget your scoring and work on pushing up your fairways hit and GIR numbers as best you can to get the most birdie "looks".

• cobojoe
    1,995 Posts
    Tue, Sep 17 2019 6:37 PM

@Faz2000,

This is my vote for post of the year.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Been there and still doing it. LOL

Rocky,

• QuotaRelief
    100 Posts
    Fri, Sep 20 2019 7:49 PM

LOL when I read this post.  I too went to Legend with the glitch.  While I’m now starting to play better again, I was getting my ***  handed to me for the first month or so.  I’m starting to win more matches then I lose in the coin rooms again, but still just over 50%!  I’ve seen my coin balance decline pretty significantly!  

• Kenbo00
    434 Posts
    Sun, Sep 22 2019 5:34 AM

Apparel is very important too. You notice you can't reach most par 5's in two anymore? A longer ball, better clubs, and apparel will bring you back. This is what the WGT wants. They are hoping you spend..... and you will if you want to continue playing. Best of luck!!!! Been there.

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Wed, Sep 25 2019 12:21 PM
    Bukky The move to Legend is indeed the most difficult transition to make, as you have discovered by now. I must agree with the other comments especially regarding the ball that you are using. I used the same ball that you use until I became a legend and that move forced me to upgrade this vital piece of equipment. You will find out through time that you will see the improvment. The length of approach shots in general was the biggest learning curve for me. I wish you well and would look forward to playing a round sometime. Corey (SeabrookFlash)
RSS