Help › Forums

equipment

Tue, Aug 6 2019 5:22 AM (31 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 1:18 PM

TopShelf2010:

DoctorLarry:
    I played with 10-credit and then 64-credit sleeves for a long time while learning.

Might be hard for this player to believe you considering you are now using the Level 95 Taylormade at 650 a pop for a sleeve

Just saying

Don

Maybe - but it is true.  I played those for a long time, switched to the Cally L33s at Legend, then to these balls 2-3 months ago.  I think I am done.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 2:00 PM

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 2:03 PM

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 10:25 PM

Saratogan:
    Except, in your real bag, you have any number different balls.  I think I carry around 2 dozen. 
    True - the Rules of Golf allow for that.

But here, the bag has one slot for balls, and it's closed during games - no club changes are allowed by the RoG, and the balls are "collateral damage".

Saratogan:
    BTW, they are proportionally cheaper than WGT offerings when compared to the clubs in the bag.
    But, looking at the balls only, you are "missing" some of the costs of a real golf round: Transport, green fee, shoes, drinks...

To me, the WGT balls are a green fee, and luckily, it's in my discretion, from Zero to a whole lot. Just choose according to your personal value of the game!

• Saratogan
    67 Posts
    Fri, Aug 2 2019 12:41 PM

I don't know what math you use.  I was using a simple ratio.  The Taylor M6 L90+ is 2,995 credits.  In the real world it is around $500.  Titleist Pro V1x L87+ are 975 credits for a sleeve of 3.  This ball at Walmart is $40 per dozen.  So ratio of driver to a dozen Pro V1x in the game:  2,995/3,900 (4 sleeves) = 0.7679.  In the real world we have $500/$40 = 12.5.  Therefore, the price of the balls is wildly out of line with the real world.  Titleist Pro V1x in the game are 16.278 times more expense than in the real world.

• Saratogan
    67 Posts
    Fri, Aug 2 2019 3:36 PM

Saratogan:

I don't know what math you use.  I was using a simple ratio.  The Taylor M6 L90+ is 2,995 credits.  In the real world it is around $500.  Titleist Pro V1x L87+ are 975 credits for a sleeve of 3.  This ball at Walmart is $40 per dozen.  So ratio of driver to a dozen Pro V1x in the game:  2,995/3,900 (4 sleeves) = 0.7679.  In the real world we have $500/$40 = 12.5.  Therefore, the price of the balls is wildly out of line with the real world.  Titleist Pro V1x in the game are 16.278 times more expense than in the real world.

BTW, I am a CPA so this kind of stuff is in my wheelhouse. :-)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Aug 2 2019 6:12 PM

• Saratogan
    67 Posts
    Fri, Aug 2 2019 7:56 PM

There will be no convincing you, I know.  I just would like to sell you golf balls in the real world. :-)

The reason for the high relative price (not cost) of golf balls in the game is that they are virtual consumables while clubs (even the cheapies) are not.  The best way that the game runners have decided on doing this is to make their price relatively expensive in the game That is the way the game makes money.  It forces you to consume credits either via lost balls or "durability".  

• Maurice25
    15 Posts
    Fri, Aug 2 2019 9:40 PM

Your obviously no CPA  , arguing for the sake of argument seems you have alot of time to waste , so its probably safe to assume your data analysis is performed pro bono , at your home , and for your own use . Your data analysis is about as useful as a Doctor Larry diagnosis . Never trust a doctor whos profile picture is a junky Toyota Celica . 

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Aug 2 2019 10:28 PM

Saratogan:
    I don't know what math you use.
    Observation tells me that you have to add up all relevant costs and mind the differences.

If you look at a pure cost comparison of clubs and balls, my primary thought is "Why do they charge us at all?", because the repeated use of such a software snippet  bears no extra material costs. Thus, the programmed virtual existance of those items should be for free(?)

IMHO, you cannot draw this comparison. If it were real, the clubs should wear out over the years, like real clubfaces and grips do. But, they don't. And, in comparison to real life golf, other costs are missing here.

Look at my former post again: The ball price ain't a ball price but
    1) a license with expiration,
    2) sort of a green fee which largely pays the servers and the rest of the company.

I see it that way, and I'm very fond of the fact that the flow of credits for these items is under my control!

I can easily play here for 10 $ per week, while driving to my golf course ONCE costs almost as much - w/o yearly club fees and ball costs etc.

RSS