Forums

Help › Forums

Cricket

Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:36 PM (155 replies)
  • luckysump
    638 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 6:20 AM

AGArgent and YJ....All i can say is "it takes all sorts to make a world"  I'm glad too,  how boring would it be if we all played the same game.  The TV and other Media opens up a whole new World of Sport for our Kids and for that alone i'm a happy parent.

Whose up for a game of Finnish style Baseball.

Lucky

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 8:13 AM

Only if a pinch runner is legal.

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 8:54 AM

AGArgent:

Only if a pinch runner is legal.

Sounds good to me.... would it be possible to explain what the above is, do you have to Pinch him as he Runs to each base, because that sounds Fun.

lucky

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:12 AM

Nicole161106:

they were normally played by primary school girls.

Did they have fine legs and deep mid wickets?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:15 AM

luckysump:
    Sounds good to me.... would it be possible to explain what the above is, do you have to Pinch him as he Runs to each base, because that sounds Fun.

LMAO, Lucky. Never considered this might conjure up some strange images. Pinch runners are substitute runners, usually faster runners.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:29 AM

How about bowling USA style for wickets and we could use Finnish bowlers........LOL

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:31 AM

was reading the rules for finish baseball, the 'pitching' rules caught my eye..

baseball does that before every game and practice, usually by a coach/manager with a fungo(sp) bat. the person using the bat tosses the ball up high enogh in the air BY HIMSELF and TO himself at the height he  needs to be able to swing at the ball. but i did have one coach who swung one handed which was quicker and kept you on your toes

-G

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:42 AM

Oops thanks YJ for clearing that up for me, We use runners in Cricket but only when the Batsmen is hurt and cannot run.

Pinch Runners sounds a bit like Cheating to me, but thats the English Gentleman in me i think.  I Say its Just not Cricket you might say,  lol

Lucky

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 11:39 AM

gsoup:
    the person using the bat tosses the ball up high enogh in the air BY HIMSELF and TO himself at the height he  needs to be able to swing at the ball

I use a version of this for coaching 13-14 year olds. That's the first year they play "big boy" baseball where the bases move to 90 feet from 60 and it turns boring practice into fun. You usually have 12-14 at practice and that conveniently breaks down to 3 teams of 3 or 4. 

The rules are simple. You get one swing throwing it up to yourself. A foul ball or swing and miss is an out. Anything else is in play and your team gets 3 outs, just like the regular game. The winning team didn't have to run laps after practice so the games always turned out competitive and taught them something about situation play. Heh, you might think it sounds easy but I found out real quick who needed work on hitting.  ;-)

• robdelahunty
    670 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 4:49 PM

Ok Guys vote time Cricket or Baseball ..drum roll..............my vote .............cricket.So Jim cricket winning 1-0,what ya think of that?

;-)

RSS