Forums

Help › Forums

Cricket

Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:36 PM (155 replies)
  • Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2011 6:48 PM

Cricket and Rounders...and baseball have more in common than Rugby and American Football...talk about a game for wimps.....Pads???  helmets??? oxygen on the sidelines in case they run 25 yards at once???  40, 50, 60 players...how ever many they have???  you can't "rough" the passer???---he'd get decapitated if he played Rugger...  fair catches???? gimme a bloody break.   clipping, illegal use of the hands, holding, crack back blocks, face masking.  Most of those things are encouraged in Rugby...lol  My god...why not just play tiddly winks....

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2011 7:27 PM

Because a 100 mph fast bowl coming off the track into someones head can cause some real damage. Plus, they need a box if they want to be sure of fathering kids in the future.

If you want to see some guts, look at pre helmet days vs Michael Holding of the West Indies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-f5pfBgpNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dmk2aDKkTU&feature=related

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2011 9:10 PM

PeterHopper:
    Because a 100 mph fast bowl coming off the track into someones head can cause some real damage.

Agree, a 100mph fast ball in baseball in baseball does serious damage to a head as well. Its why we wear helmets.  But why the shin pads?

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2011 4:15 AM

Because they are bowling to bounce, not a full toss.

Incidentally, how many countries play baseball?

While we're there, how many countries play cricket, or Rugby (Union or League), or even, uh, American football?

As opposed to The World Game.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2011 5:00 AM

The Batsman wear pads so their shins don't get smashed when the ball hits em, they also wear thigh pads and chest pads and elbow protectors on the front arm and of course the box to protect, you know what, but if you get hit there it still hurts pretty bad.

The English team is doing really good, for now.... but don't forget 'The Ashes' is coming around and we will be ready this time... hehehe

The Aussies just got rid of their selectors and coach.

Cheers

Roger

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2011 6:27 AM

The only thing i will say mantis0014 is "The Ashes" will be interesting at the least....lol  ohhh i thought you were ready the last time...lol

Lucky

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2011 6:41 AM

JuanMendoza:

Because they are bowling to bounce, not a full toss.

Incidentally, how many countries play baseball?

While we're there, how many countries play cricket, or Rugby (Union or League), or even, uh, American football?

As opposed to The World Game.

Consider yourself lucky Juan that we don't play your games......y'all would be toast.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2011 7:31 AM

Yappy22:
    Hey Nicole were not arguing... We are just haven a little fun with each other....Oh and by the way I didn't know Scottish school girls play baseball. LOL

i agree nothing like a friendly bit of banter

and as a answer to a earlier comment the reason cricketers have all the padding is because its legal to target any part of the body or head and with the ball travelling at 90mph + even with the padding it hurts. there is a  picture somewhere of a cricketer after a match showing his ribcage with a dozen perfect round bruises from his hip to his armpit.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2011 8:08 AM

Thanks for that info plim, now I understand.

Juan, there are 131 member countries in the International Baseball Federation and 105 member countries in the International Cricket Council.

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2011 8:38 AM

Yeah, well, here's a form of baseball that I'm sure very few of us has seen. Check this out. Finnish baseball. And just try to figure out what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=1LaJwL9hbIk

RSS