Forums

Help › Forums

I need help...Putting

Tue, Jan 15 2019 6:34 AM (22 replies)
  • MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 9:49 AM
    hi.....putting is the one thing that gets us all.......i think tekomas technique is the key to putting......but i also believe there are certain putts you must miss ding and certain putts to ding.....speed of putt also plays a big factor in the putt dropping.....example 9ft putt with average break 1 inch down elevation i would use half grid break.......speed of putt i would hit 7ft with slight off ding.....or i would hit 8ft to be firmer without missding......young 46 explains it well in his video jc sneeds putting technique.......but at the end of it all you need to find your own speed for which way you want to putt......hope this helps mickey
  • lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 11:13 AM

YankeeJim:

Waquoitwonder:
    I tend to land in the camp of folks playing this game who like the challenge of eye balling a putt, but are open to help. 

That's the only way I have ever putted. Paramount is determining how hard to hit-the correct speed forgives a lot of aim discrepancies. Then visualize what the putting arc looks like and putt to the apex of it.

+1 or is it +3 . Putting is the hardest part of the game hands down . One of the things I do is always check the line of the putt . Usually the line is off and its usually inside the cup and going with the break . I move the line according to the amount of the break because some breaks are wide and outside the cup .So move the line against the break according to its direction .

So moving the line will help the putt hold its line and follow the arc of the break . As a miss ding putter you will need a putter with both a lot of forgiveness as well as balance . Those two factors really helps the ball to flow smoothly .

The only way you will get better at this type of putting is by practicing . Its practice practice and then even more practice . Set up a stroke play practice round use the rock and the mulligan feature . Since you are working on your putting getting on the green is the only thing thats important .Unless you want to work on shot placement as well then use the rock to keep from wasting good balls .

To my understanding when putting all balls putt the same . Some may say otherwise but to me it seems true . Bottom line you will have to find what works best for you . The fact that there are so many threads about putting says it all . There is no guaranteed way to become a perfect putter . Even the top players  miss so be prepared for those disappointing moments . Play well and have fun .

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 12:49 PM

lonniescott711:
    To my understanding when putting all balls putt the same

True I believe, read it somewhere that once on the short grass all balls behave as the same, no doubt someone will clarify this!

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 1:36 PM

Waquoitwonder:

The eternal challenge for me in WGT is putting - Specifically aiming of putts. I have reviewed any number of recommendations of VERY accomplished players - Young46TekomaTwisted RootMistress Cosette, etc. While the math of some methods may be intimidating and time consuming it certainly can work. I tend to land in the camp of folks playing this game who like the challenge of eye balling a putt, but are open to help. 

I would like some explanation what various putting techniques work best for you...I need help. For instance, Tekoma has posted fabulous videos of several different aiming strategies. I can figure out the technique, but when should I use which technique??!   Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?

Lots of great advice.

I am one of those who have never looked at any putting method.

Champ 13 I use 70%, 12 I use 75%..................That's for firm putting to go a couple of feet past on a miss.  Now 5' I might hit harder just to make sure it does not deviate.

Arrow pointing up will be slower than down.  Breaks will be harder the first and last thirds unless ramming, and especially so the faster the stimp with a downhill "trickler".

Use different views from behind to past the hole - know the whole topography of the putt.

Personally, I hated your putter (others putt v well with it and fine as putting is personal).  For off dinging, I found it poor and I never had faith in its distance control (grouping).

I would tee up practice greens and get my distances down at Beth 3 (flat one from memory)..............Any distance any stimp a very simple calc should putt you close for tap in second putt (real useful knowledge for some long par 5 eagle chances)  Oh and do it in low winds as high winds is something you will learn to allow for .....(EDIT: NOTE the scale you use and personally aim to ding for length and cross check with off dings but keeping it simple to start just ding as in the end you either putt the line correctly or not)

Once you get all that simple low hanging fruit down by all means check out the next stages, and do so with confidence.  You will know the very few times dots do lie when you do.........I will do that stuff one day..maybe.  I guess I should but time and inclination..........

Lastly your ADTP is not too flash.  Some simple calcs with wedges should get that closer.  Improving one putts with a poor ADTP is always going to be a rough experience.

• wayah1
    27 Posts
    Tue, Jan 8 2019 7:12 AM

Focus on the fastest moving dot and speed control

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Jan 8 2019 1:23 PM

All good advice that will help you improve!

After you have mentally digested what will and will not work for you, remember this....

EVERY HOLE has an easy(easier) side to putt from....figure out which one it is, learn that putt....and make "Absolutely" sure your approach is on that particular side of he hole, even if it is a 12-15 ft putt...it is most likely easier than a 3-5ft sidehill lie with a huge break! OR a downhill touch putt! You don't have to knock down every flag to birdie a hole....

Most of these guys giving you tips have putted each and every hole hundreds upon hundreds of times, if not thousands of times, and "made" every possible mistake more than a few times, so "they" know! LOL

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Jan 8 2019 1:36 PM

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Tue, Jan 8 2019 4:17 PM

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Wed, Jan 9 2019 3:13 AM

CEverett12:

Looks like my putting on here lately. 

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Wed, Jan 9 2019 4:36 AM

Funny thing is, I've had two putts like that lately, very similar, think their in and around the hole!

RSS