Forums

Help › Forums

I need help...Putting

Tue, Jan 15 2019 6:34 AM (22 replies)
  • Waquoitwonder
    66 Posts
    Fri, Jan 4 2019 7:42 PM

The eternal challenge for me in WGT is putting - Specifically aiming of putts. I have reviewed any number of recommendations of VERY accomplished players - Young46TekomaTwisted RootMistress Cosette, etc. While the math of some methods may be intimidating and time consuming it certainly can work. I tend to land in the camp of folks playing this game who like the challenge of eye balling a putt, but are open to help. 

I would like some explanation what various putting techniques work best for you...I need help. For instance, Tekoma has posted fabulous videos of several different aiming strategies. I can figure out the technique, but when should I use which technique??!   Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sat, Jan 5 2019 11:44 AM

I am by no means a great putter, here or in real golf, but I have a simple suggestion:

Don't overthink your putts. 

It does help to know how the various courses differ as to green speed and the amount of break. Some courses do break more sharply than others. And it's best to err on the high side of the hole rather than the low side: better chance of a "lip-in" that way. And getting the speed right is more important than the line.

That said, I've had the most success when I follow a simple rule:

Read it and hit it before you have the chance to change your mind.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 5 2019 12:00 PM

Waquoitwonder:
    I tend to land in the camp of folks playing this game who like the challenge of eye balling a putt, but are open to help. 

That's the only way I have ever putted. Paramount is determining how hard to hit-the correct speed forgives a lot of aim discrepancies. Then visualize what the putting arc looks like and putt to the apex of it.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Jan 5 2019 12:22 PM

G0LDS method helps you learn to figure breaks quicker IMO, but takes a lot of time to use...

Teks doesn't work for everyone but I liked it and was much quicker, takes some time to learn it....

You would be amazed at how many just use there own feel to putt, no system at all...

I have found that THIS simple way of finding an aim point is as good as any and will cover about 90% of your putts(sometimes with a little adjustment here and there like all of these systems), the ones it doesn't cover are the reason you learn the others 1st LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCs_CeZOlA

to be honest I didn't even know Young had posted a help video and have never seen it, but I have no doubt it is a good one!

As far as others I have seen, much too much thought went into them, like G0LDS somewhat, take too long to putt, and this is a game, not a job lol!

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, Jan 5 2019 7:42 PM

For the time being, I am using distance and break calculations from some of those you listed.  Before I do this, I eyeball the putt and estimate the aimer placement and required distance given the elevation change and green speed.  Then I compute what the calcs say and compare.  Over time, I am getting better with the estimates - and sometimes I just play without the calculator to see how I am doing.

YMMV.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Jan 5 2019 11:00 PM

If you miss a lot of putts, write down what you keep doing wrong. Later, your list might come down to this something like this:

'My downhill putts I hit too soft'  

'I under estimate the break on large slopes'

'My putts from right to left are always short.'

'My uphill putts from left to right go long over the top'

etc.

So you refine your technique for each putt you miss. But if you don't make note of your shots, you can't refine the method.

If I always like "Too hard, over the top",  "Too hard, over the top"

I'll change it to softer and maybe more inside till it drops. 
    Be confident. It seems to help me. But it only works if you're using the steps above!!
  • gherkinhead1
    245 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 12:22 AM

Try a 3 wood.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 6:58 AM

fatdan:
    I have found that THIS simple way of finding an aim point is as good as any and will cover about 90% of your putts

True Dan,

I found a young46 Youtube video about this, Jason mentioned a JC Sneed aiming point method, now my putting is not great and it kills me and a what could be a good round sometimes, but I found this genuinely helped.

I cant get my head around counting dots and %'s.

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 7:36 AM

Waquoitwonder:

I tend to land in the camp of folks playing this game who like the challenge of eye balling a putt, but are open to help. 

I would like some explanation what various putting techniques work best for you...

I am not a great putter, but I am pretty decent. I am with those that just read the breaks without calculations. 

One thing that helps me a lot, is to break down each putt in 10' sections. I know what the cross dots roll like (appearance wise) for a foot of break on a 10' putt. Obviously it looks slightly different depending on speed and incline VS decline. Additionally, different greens can look slightly different, but that is where knowing the greens comes in to play. Some days I tend to read the greens better than other days, but breaking it down like that gets me real close. The reason for 10' sections is that it makes for easy math in my head. 

I don't know if that is the kind of help you wanted, but it works rather well for me.

Sink 'em...   Brett

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 7:58 AM

Hi Waquoitwonder,

I don't use this method myself (I'm an eyeballer, Does that look high/low) but this method seems to be In a similar vein to what Brett describes & may help you

Ken

RSS