• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2009 7:44 AM

no just the course 18 or 9 holes

though it has been suggested. good luck out there

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2009 8:31 AM

You can set up a "Practice" round, where your shots don't count to practice your putting.

• jc3tech
    1 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2009 12:39 PM

The results speak for themselves.  Before reading this, I was consistenly averaging 82-84.  After reading this, I have shot a 76 and 36 (could have easily been a 34) and have now broken into the pro ranks at 79.08 .  This has complely changed my level of confidence on the greens.  My long puts are now within 2-3 feet of the hole.  Thank you!!!

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Sep 27 2009 12:14 PM

Here's a suggestion that may have been touched on elsewhere, but I didn't notice in this thread...

What I do is drag the target past and before the hole before committing to a distance for my stroke. Most often, on long putts, the distance will show in the target box in feet without a decimal point. If, when you drag the target towards the hole, it shows "14ft", for instance, as the target triangle first touches the front lip of the cup, then the putt distance is truely 14ft. If the target box shows "14ft." before the target triangle reaches the cup, the distance of the putt is actually greater than what is shown in the target box. Sometimes, I have found the distance to be almost a foot longer than what is indicated. This should allow you to more correctly judge the distance of your putts, making for less under-stroked putts, as well as less errant putts hit well past the cup.

To take this technique a bit farther, while dragging the indicator, take notice of the "^ & v" indicators. I use these to determine where "breaks" are liable to appear in the ball's path to the cup. I've found this to be vital information especially around the cup, where there may be a rise or drop-off that might cause the ball to slow (before) or tail-off (after, if the putt is missed). Using these strategies has helped my lag putts result in many more tap-ins, and sometimes results in long birdies that previously were unrealistically difficult. I now make 12-16ft putts regularly, and frequently drain 20-30 footers!

Of course, it helps if you are consistently able to hit the "ding line" (center-line) on the swing meter, too. LOL!  I'm sure this may be "old news" to players who've been around for awhile, but it may help some of you new "hackers" - especially those of you who've had some putts end-up being short of the cup. One other thing to remember, as has been mentioned numerous times - putt "through the cup"... Don't be afraid to add a little more stroke than what you feel is sufficient to "get it there"! I routinely add about a foott to my "level" putts, and about .5 foot to the downhill ones after calculating the distance that will get it to the cup.

Also, If the indicator reads "^ 0", there could be as much as .5 inch rise... "v 0" there could be .5 inch drop.

On long putts, there can be, and usually is, alot of different ^'s and/or v"s on the ball's path to the cup, so if you want to drain more of them, or at least get them close more consistently, don't just move the target box left or right at the hole and hope the ball will get there. Quickly "read" the green along the putt's path, and lower those scores!

Hope this helps! :)

• Tim30
    66 Posts
    Thu, Oct 15 2009 10:48 PM

very helpful info on putting.....always had good game on getting to green but always was doing alot of quess for power to putt..... so that being said I miss about 75% of birdie shots....so this will help me alot in judging power. TY!! :-)

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 10:55 AM

Just thought I'd mention this here...

With the introduction of "Fast" greens, I've had to adjust my Redwood's putt strength when putting downslope from 1" = minus1/2ft to 1" = minus1ft.  Upslope, I no longer add footage to my estimate of stroke-strength.

I've also found the "break" on the fast greens to require about 1/2 as much "left/right" aiming as the "standard speed" greens when using just enough speed to drop the ball into the cup.

Hope this helps. :)

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 1:09 PM

Thanks alot Pugs,I knew not everybody around here was a hater.That sounds like some very helpful hints.I guess you're not scared of a little competition.I was wondering why they kept coming up short on me.I was scared to add to much to it 'cause the ball just don't want to stop if you miss and I'm all about missing right now.It's geting better though.Thanks again PugsAce.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 6:22 PM

PugsAce:

I've also found the "break" on the fast greens to require about 1/2 as much "left/right" aiming as the "standard speed" greens when using just enough speed to drop the ball into the cup.

Hope this helps. :)

I dunno about that, putts that I used aim at the edge of the cup, I am now aiming a full cup off the hole.   Breaking more, not less.

• HigherThanYall
    51 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 6:38 PM

I think I have to agree with Bolloxln on that one..The greens break alot more with fast greens then on the standard greens

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 7:06 PM

I would say they do also, the slower ball is going to break more!

RSS