Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Sat, Jan 28 2012 10:34 PM

renniw52:

Why don't you people just drop this nonsense. This was originally to help people. Now it is a constant pain in the ass, with folks bickering with each other. Take the tips that you can use, and shut the hell up about the things that don't relate to the help. Get it, and that goes for all the people. this was a help post. Keep your personalities out of it. I am appalled at some of the people who are having a dick dance on here. 

Agreed. This thread was pivotal to the improvement in my game. It is a shame to see it descend into a pissing contest.

• Lookingforballs
    845 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 7:18 AM

I am convinced the game gives you 1 good night and 1 bad night.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 11:51 AM

rlsdsurfer:

Hay jerk, you started the insults from ,"the look of your putting you can use one", so again jerk go f##k urself!

Jim merely stated the obvious. I feel I am an awful putter and my putting is what is holding me back but my putting stats smoke yours. And one reason for your poorer than good putting is that God Awful Spider putter you are using.I know just how bad the Spider is. I was stupid enough to buy it because of the slower swing speed not listening to people like Jim who advised me not to get it. Shoot the starter putter is in my opinion even better than the Spider. I know the better putters costs a lot more than the Spider but believe me they are worth it in the long run. If you want to learn to play better pay attention to a lot of the things Jim says. He knows what he is talking about. And in his way he was only trying to help you. 

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 1:42 PM

CMcCartney727:

rlsdsurfer:

example last night I had a 14' putt and was given a 100' meter, which really bugs me win WGT does that.

You do know that you can change the distance on the putting meter by clicking the up/down arrows next to the distance?  I

CM

rlsdsurfer:

CM thanks , no I did'n't know about the arrows or realize how they can change the meter..

I think the above contributes greatly to surfer's bad putting.  Trying to hit a 14 foot putt with a 100 foot meter would cause some bad results.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 1:53 PM

esssy:

yeah i never use the reverse view for putting seems a waste of time actually

USE THE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE OF THE METER WHILE YOU PUTT

NEVER MOVE THE FLAG AIM LINE WHILE PUTTING>>>> ONLY ON VERY EXTREME BREAKS UP HILL

I do the exact opposite.. I ALWAYS use the reverse view (it's the view I always putt from, unless it's a no-brainer).  I get a much better feel for the last couple of feet in the putt.  Getting a good view of what the ball is going to do as it gets near the hole seems to help me a lot.  

I also always move the flag.. I do try to miss the ding on the 'correct' side (if it's a right-to-left putt, I want to either ding it or miss a hair late), but I've not had much luck without moving the aim... unless it's inside 6 feet or so.

Different strokes, I guess...

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:10 PM

CMcCartney727:
    I think the above contributes greatly to surfer's bad putting.  Trying to hit a 14 foot putt with a 100 foot meter would cause some bad results.

Why is that?With the avatar movement style1 movement with the ghost spider is about 14 feet with a male avatar. With a female it is 12 feet. This is based on standard green speeds. I always take the distance of my putt and figure how hard it would need to be hit based on standard green speeds. ie a 20 foot flat put on legend tourney greens would need to be hit like a 13 foot putt on most courses except Oakmont which is much faster than the others. It is much easier to ding the meter using the high scales for short putts because the meter travel is so much shorter. Also the shorter meter travel cuts down the possibility of any meter skips.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:22 PM

CMcCartney727:
    I do the exact opposite.. I ALWAYS use the reverse view (it's the view I always putt from, unless it's a no-brainer).  I get a much better feel for the last couple of feet in the putt.  Getting a good view of what the ball is going to do as it gets near the hole seems to help me a lot.

Good way to do it for one simple reason-the last third of the putt is slowing down and the break will affect it more. However, many players neglect that first third and that's where a lot of the misreads come from. If you start off on the wrong line you're screwed.

Putting with the higher scale  is not a bad move either, you just have to know that the error is magnified if you miss. 

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 5:19 PM

Lookingforballs:

I am convinced the game gives you 1 good night and 1 bad night.

I hear you on that... my thing is more in-round crap that happens when I have a good round going... I have posted on this many times..  Just now I played an 18hole 'best of'.. the front 9 I was -7 with 3 misses inside of 10 feet... lip out a 6 footer on 10, and I just know it's over with the putting.  I've had enough good putting rounds to know what a putt should do from 8-9 feet.. and too many times I aim right and hit it late, and the ball is left of the hole as soon as it leaves the putter face.. makes me a little crazy sometimes

• Hammerfest
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 8:09 AM

Hello,

how can i get this scale? 

Hammerfest

RSS