Forums

Help › Forums

VUSAm Video!

Mon, Oct 15 2018 11:57 AM (25 replies)
  • borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2018 10:27 AM

YankeeJim:

WGT's Facebook page has the entire match if you want to see it.  :-)

Am i missing something? But the only video about the U.S. Amateur that I saw on WGT's Facebook page was the same short video that Champion posted here. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2018 10:45 AM

I watched it  well after the match. I think it was the same day and ran something like an hour and 20 minutes. Maybe they took it down? Silly move if they did. 

They didn't, you just have to look.  :-)

Congratulations to fmagnets, your 2018 (and first-ever) Virtual U.S. Amateur champion!

And congrats to Naturali on a hard-fought match -- we can't wait to see you both next year.

If you missed the live stream, check out the video here via United States Golf Association - USGA page: http://bit.ly/2QSWlE2

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2018 9:32 PM

Congrats to the finalists, and to fmags for the win...outstanding!

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 7:32 AM

justacowboy:
    lol   hmmm  what part of this video would make me want to go  ????

What part of your overwhelmingly negative and mocking interactions on WGT would make you think anyone would want you to?

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 11:12 AM

Thanks for the link Jim. I'll watch it on my first day off. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 1:16 PM

When you do, take note of Fridge's play (LOL-now that I know he wanted to be a refrigerator magnet) and notice how little he using the spin. I found that interesting.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2018 11:12 AM

YankeeJim:

When you do, take note of Fridge's play (LOL-now that I know he wanted to be a refrigerator magnet) and notice how little he using the spin. I found that interesting.

What i found interesting as well was Naturli using a second monitor with all his spread sheets and Mags just using a 30 year old calculator. 

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2018 7:12 PM
    borntobesting:

YankeeJim:

What i found interesting as well was Naturli using a second monitor with all his spread sheets and Mags just using a 30 year old calculator. 

Mags uses the calculator to get the approximate distance, mentally adjusts that number based on the conditions and pin location, and then makes his shot based on intuition. He literally imagines the shots and putts prior to hitting them. Once he gets that initial number from his calculator it’s all “feel” from that point on. Mags is a mathematical genius and his brain works in a very analytical manner.

Naturali’s game is much more precise in terms of his pre-shot routine. He’s an analytical guy and he personally developed all the tools he uses. He has torn the game down to 1s and 0s and understands all that is required for a perfect shot under the present conditions. The dude is pure genius at work. On Friday and Saturday he was experiencing issues with his meter and that was affecting his ability to hit the ding. In the end, that was his downfall.

Mags uses different balls on different courses. His use of spin, or lack thereof, is based on his vast experience under all playing conditions. So, he truly hits each shot differently based on his perception at that specific time. I watch and listen...I don’t question him. One day I hope it all clicks in my head.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2018 6:11 AM

pmm711:
    He literally imagines the shots and putts prior to hitting them.

This, IMO, is the single biggest aid in getting the right shot. If you can conceptualize the shot-see it in your mind's eye- and know your clubs, "feel" play becomes instinctual. The key is knowing your game and I can really appreciate the way Mags plays his.  :-)

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:40 AM

Just about every time I have asked Fmags about a shot or how he shoots he tells me he doesn't use calculations and plays by feel, but every time I see him take a shot in the video he uses a calculator.

RSS