Forums

Help › Forums

A little help please.

Fri, Sep 21 2018 3:04 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Hoze928
    7 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2018 12:09 PM

A little back ground played golf for 25 years bad back kicked in 7 years ago killed playing golf for me so gaming golf is a favorite pastime. Found this game recently and love it.

I have a firm grasp of play and gear but as gaming in general there are unforeseen variables such as levels, gear life, etc. So having said that I’m not afraid to spending a little of my $ on a good game such as this but I also don’t want to waste it such as I’m still using free balls and have no plans to change for now. Can a few of you upper level players take a look at my gear choices and kind of give me a life span on them before I should be thinking upgrade. Ignore my ball choice since I have played a bit with better balls and know what they can do I just don’t want to waste them while I get over my learning curve. Great game great sight lots of good info thanks guys.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 12:33 PM

Hi there,

I would say your current equipment is perfectly fine for your current level.  Also, very smart not to purchase premium balls while learning the game.  That's a mistake a lot of players make thinking an expensive ball will change things dramatically.  It certainly won't. 

Not to say this is a gospel, but it's a path a lot have taken after reading similar information in the forums and it's one that I took.

• At Lvl 48, get the TM Lvl 48 Driver
    • At Lvl 59, get the Ping G25 irons
    • Upgrade ball to Lvl 33 Cally once you get the Lvl 59 G25's 
    • Don't buy a putter until Lvl 70 Versa

Those clubs should last you until Legend tier just fine.

After reaching Legend and hitting from the back tees you'll need more distance.

• Upgrade your driver
    • Purchase a 3 wood b/c there's holes now that an iron won't reach
    • At some point you'l want/need the highest level wedges in the game.  They're all good just get the ones within budget

Everything else from there I'd consider optional and to taste.  You can use the Lvl 33 Cally as a champion -- lots do but others choose different balls -- again to taste and budget.

Eventually someday sometime, if you have visions of competing at the highest levels you'll get yourself the best equipment.  L 103 driver, L 99 3w, 98+ putter etc.

It's all dependent on what you want out of the game, and how much time/$$$ you're willing to put into that goal.

cheers! and GL

brad

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 1:15 PM

I agree with Brad on his suggestions.

An interesting side note is you have a 4th wedge, but no 3 wood or hybrid. Usually players have a hybrid until they obtain a 3 iron which covers the same distance.

That said, I would consider investing in a decent 3 wood.

ct

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 1:53 PM

I'm not answering your question, but I have a wee remark on your choices (expect a novel) - maybe some reference for other players.

You got four Cleve 588 wedges of L31 - L26 which was an expensive choice, overly expensive IMHO.

First, I inverted the level indications because that's the order of their importance. Shorter wedges help you more, just because you need them for the green bunkers and those delicate short approaches. It should be no accident that all the sets begin with longer wedges at lower levels - look at the ATVs next to the Cleves!

Next, equipment on lower levels costs more than comparable equipment at higher levels. Here, yours are 995 cr, while the ATV of L38 f. are 495 cr each (and they are good!). Waiting saves credits and doesn't need long at lower levels!

Also, your longest, 52° wedge of 105 yds collides with your PW of 100 yds from your iron set. It's a classic double staffing - unfortunate! You might drop the 52° in favour of a 3WD.

The spacing of these wedges appears a tad close, 60 - 75 - 90 yds. Better iron sets like the L59 Pings start at 115 yds or similar. Thus, a spread of 60 - 80 - 100(105) or 50 - 75 - 100 is more advisable. In general, there are a lot of impractical wedge sets - choose wisely!

• mbcarp99
    1,078 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 1:56 PM

My advice would be to get the lv 35 ghost spider putter, that could last you as long as you needed it to, still some very good players using it today. As for other clubs once you get to legend you will need all the distance you can get plus better balls, so upgrade when you think you need to, first to get to legend and then when you need to progress past legend

I would also suggest you join a CC with decent players of which there are many with players willing to share knowledge, make some friends and learn the game playing with better players. 

Once you get to TL or Champion get the best gear you can, map the distances of your club/ball combination, learn all the different nuances of every course, memorise the breaks of putts from different positions on every green and then come on the forum and moan about lip outs, VEM, the clash messing with your game etc etc

but most of all have fun

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 2:57 PM
    Everybody has likes and dislikes. I do not advise on what club, by brand as I do not have direct knowledge, but in reading comments, and asking as you are for information is the best way to do it. After all the checking and advise have been made plan on using a free weekend rental to its best advantage. One of the things that has influenced my purchasing decisions are swing meter speed, and spin ability. I do not hit the ding nearly as often as most, so swing speed is very important to me. The 3wood, hybred, or the 3rd and 4th wedge, is an important decision. As you compare the clubs and what they are designed to do, you should also measure how a punch stroke with each club overlaps other clubs, this can be vital in not overloading your bag with short game clubs. I have used my irons and wedges at full and at punch stroke levels, often and with good results. I see no need for the hybred or 4th wedge at all. my nickle hope it helps.
  • Hoze928
    7 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 8:45 PM

I appreciate all the replays great information. This gear thing is such a money maker on this game it’s crazy. Real world you can get descent gear and play your whole life. It’s a bit intimidating trying to figure out at what level you should be changing gear out. Like now I have a good 3wd and a hybrid but took them out of the bag and inserted the extra wedge because the courses I’ve been practicing on didn’t really need them. But I have found out the last couple of days in head to head I’ve landed on a few courses I’ve never played and screwed myself not having the 3wd in my bag. I love my wedges but when I purchased the set I didn’t really grasp the level gap. So I thought I would be good pretty much forever with those Cleveland’s but the spacing is just not going to get it done. Oh well live and learn from now on I am paying much more attention to level and gear. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2018 2:58 AM

• craigswan
    30,979 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2018 4:17 AM

gift of golf foundation might be able to help you out .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2018 5:49 AM

Hoze928:
    A little back ground played golf for 25 years bad back kicked in 7 years ago killed playing golf for me so gaming golf is a favorite pastime. Found this game recently and love it

Then play it just as you did when you could IRL. Apply the same thinking, course management, bad shot recovery, etc. Until you get to the Legend tier you're pretty much at a driver/wedge stage of the game and can get away with lesser equipment for a while.

One thing I would do immediately is switch to a High lofted iron set (maybe wait until level 59 and get the version of your current set.) Your Med/High clubs are OK for now but eventually, as your tees move back, elevation is going to come into play more and that's where those Med/High irons will hurt you-they come in low and fast and are hard to stop.  Shots that come in high and land softer-such as they do with High lofted irons-make it easier to control your green shots.

As for a fairway wood, I never had one myself until I got to Legend, there just wasn't a need.  I used 4 wedges because not only do you use that 4th wedge way more than the occasional fairway wood, your low end coverage gets really tight. Pay attention to the gap between shots and include punches.

• PAGES
RSS